Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Feb 7, 2006, 1:27 AM   #1

I have had a bit of difficulties getting consistent colors from monitor to print, using a hard ware calibrated monitor, printing from a sRGB files to Ilford Smooth pearl paper (semi matte)through aCanon i865 printer.

The reason is probably that I can't find a dedicated profile for exactly my printer. Only profiles fori950 or i965, both giving similar results, when using one of these dedicated profiles in Qimage settingcolor management preferences for print output (rel. col. with black point comp. on), and carefully turning off ICM + "none"in the printer driver choosing canon matte paper as the paper type here, and quality 1.

Prints are turning out too saturated and with color shifts, especially in the red/yellow, giving bad skin tones.

SOLUTION
Then I tried to be very simplistic, not using a dedicated profile following the "general recommendations" supplied by Ilford:

Set printer driver to:

Canon Pro photo (!)
Quality 1 (or 2)
No ICM
Turn on AUTO

Big surprise to me, the prints are now turning out much better than before. Strangely, if AUTO is switched of and replaced by turning ICM on, the print is way off and much worse than trying the dedicated profile approach descriped in the beginning.

I would have expected AUTO as a very crude way of color management compared to ICM in the printer driver, but apparently its works well for this combination. How come?

I appreciate your comments very much!

Best regards
Lowlight

LowLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:59 AM   #2

Auto is pretty crude in comparison to using the proper ICC profile. The answer in this case is simply that you do not have the proper profile. Auto will usually be better than using the wrong profile because it is designed to be good enough to avoid most complaints by users. If you want a truly accurate profile, you'll have to get a custom profile made or use a profiling tool like Profile Prism to create one: http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:15 PM   #3

Thanks very much for the explanation and advice!

I am very tempted to get the profile prism package, not because I think I really need it, but more because the "color management challenge" and a general print excitement is starting to creep under my skin.

Best regards
LowLight

LowLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:21 PM   #4

I recently purchased Profile Prism and have used it to produce printer profiles for my Canon i965, Epson 2100 and HP DJ30 printers with very good results. You do need a reasonable quality scanner to get the best results though. In my opinion well worth the money as is, of course, Qimage.

pixmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:01 AM   #5

I've just produced two printer profiles with Profile Prism for my HP DJ30 printer so I can use Epson Archival Matte and Radiant Watercolor paper (which is one of my favorite papers at the moment). On printing out the same image I did with the Epson 2100 I can see no difference what so ever, nor can people I have show them to. So much so I am now considering selling the Epson as its been made redundant.

pixmate is offline   Reply With Quote