Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1

I have used Qimage for years with many inkjet and dyesub printers. I now have a Fuji Pictrography 4000II. When I size a photo file in Photoshop to 8x10 tif at 400 dpi and then print it directly in Qimage it prints out as about 7.25x9.125in. How can this be fixed or what am I doing wrong or missing? If I save the photo as a 'Print to file' in Q and then print that file it prints the right size, but then it also adds more work like in photoshop (clicking and mouse work which is already hard while at an event trying to get out hundreds of prints out and showing proofs at the same time)

Thank You
Forrest

hrsfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:30 PM   #2

First, I'm not sure why you'd be using PhotoShop to resample as that's what Qimage is for and it will do a better job. As for saving files of a certain size in PhotoShop, you must use the TIFF (or JPEG) image format to do this. The public spec from Adobe for its PSD format is still back at PS 5.0 so Qimage cannot read image size from PSD files.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:26 PM   #3

First, I'm not sure you really read what I wrote

Second, I dont use Photoshop CS2 to resample, it comes pretty much as a consequence of using Photoshop to angle the photo (never the same angle) and put my signature and copyright on (its never in the same place twice because of the subject matter) and adjust colors and contrast etc and remove piles of poo on the ground and fix eyes (as I use flash mostly indoors on horses, youve never seen white eye till you shoot large animals, on humans its usaully red on horses its white or green)

Third, I said I save files in the 'tif' format. Is that different than 'tiff'? Although I do use 'psd' sometimes with background changes I never print in that format. And never mentioned them.

Fourth, I still dont know how to make Qimage print out the right size image on the Pictrography. Is there a way to disable Windows print driver? Would that help anyway? Photshop prints out the same file the correct size, the big problem with Photoshop printing is its really slow when trying to print hundreds of different size (from wallets to 11x14's) photos in a day while the show is going and people are viewing proofs to order more prints.

Fifth, I dont mean to sound mean, I am frustrated that I have not yet been able to print correctly from Qimage like I did using inkjet and dyesub printers.

Forrest
Old Feb 24, 2006, 4:37 PM   #4

Unfortunately you leave a lot untold so much has to be inferred from your original post. If you want an 8x10 in Qimage, click the 8x10 button. It's that simple. If you don't get an 8x10 when you do that and the size in Qimage's queue is listed as 8x10, the fault is with the driver. If you want specific help, be specific. You say you print "directly" in Qimage. What does that mean? Is there a "direct print" button in Qimage? Exactly what steps are you taking to print and what size shows in the queue before you print? Whenever you get results you don't expect, you need to outline your steps and what you see, otherwise there is no way for me to help you.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:02 AM   #5

Hi Forrest! (Congratulations for having a Pictro!)

I recommend you don't *resize* pics in Photoshop anymore unless a special need comes along. As when mixing two images at certain relative sizes for example.

To compose several independent prints to print together you should do it on QI.

In QI you can always check the exact dimentions a print will (or should) be printing by switching to the Full Page Editor. If the dimentions in this editor say "8x10" when you select the print it should come out 8x10 on the paper. If it doesn't, it seems like something isn't working right and Mike should look into it.

Is there a difference when you print to the full width of the printable area of the paper?

Regards,

Rick
RickTrelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:48 PM   #6

OK, I figured it out by myself and it WAS in Qimage. Also, when Qimage can read D2X Nikon Raw files crop/rotate in small increments/adjust color/contrast/change file from 16 bit to 8 bit/fix white-red eye/add signature at angle and place anywhere in photo/remove items from photo by cloneing/add wording anywhere and in multiple colors/make multi image layouts with type as in a poster/ad 'for sale item' etc then I would never need Photoshop. I know Qimage can do some of these things but not quite as easily or with fewer key/mouse strokes. But Qimage is supposed to be a PRINTING Program and it does that extremely well. On a different list for the same problem I was having I had someone tell me 'what should I expect from a cheap program as Qimage when Photoshop $600+-', that person is extremely ignorant. I shoot event photos and print on site and if anyone has actually tried to print from Photoshop 10-30 pages of sizes from wallets to 11x14 with mixed sizes on the pages in 2 hours it is NOT the program to use. That is why I was so frustrated knowing how well Qimage does the printing. So now that Qimage is working I am happy.

Thank You Mike for a great printing program. Qimage does what its supposed to do. Since I have been having the wrong print size problem on the Pictrography I tried hundreds of free to $6,000 programs and none can do what Qimage can do or as easily.

Forrest