Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:02 AM   #1

I am about to purchase Qimage. I have one newbie question. I know once I calibrate my monitor and then tell Qimage my printer profile, I will have a better workflow at my home printer. I use my home printer for big prints and projects.

I would like to choose an on-line printing service to do the mass 4x6 prints of snapshots for photo albulms. How best to ensure that the prints one orders from an on-line service are going to look like the images on my calibrated home monitor? Is this possible?

Can Qimage help with this process as well? Does it depend on the on-line service?

Sorry for the newbie question. The question itself may reveal a fundamental lack of knowledge. Thanks for any help.
MarieBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:31 AM   #2

You'd have to ask the online printing service that you are using. Sometimes they'll at least tell you what kind of printer they are using and then you might be able to find a profile for that printer online. DryCreekPhoto has some profiles for some of the printers used by online printing services for example.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:19 AM   #3

Thank you very much. I did find out from Winkflash that their profile is available from DryCreekPhoto. I assume then that I could use that profile and get a "soft proof" in Qimage.

Mike: is it easy to embed a specific profile in a batch of photos, quickly soft proof them, and then send them off to the online service from Qimage?

Thanks so much for your help. I have a couple of people on another forum thinking about Qimage as well.
MarieBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:26 PM   #4

It is easy to embed ICC profiles in files since the print-to-file feature will do that if you have the option enabled in the color management settings. Some places require that you do not embed profiles though as it confuses their equipment/software: you can still do the conversion, just uncheck the embed option in Qimage. Again, you'd have to check with the outfit you are using to determine whether or not they want a profile embedded.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote