Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:11 PM   #1

I'm not sure if this question has been answered before but here goes...

So I like to print white borders around most of my prints and have been adding those in Photoshop by increasing the canvas size and then saving a TIFF to be printed in Qimage. With this approach the white border is actually part of the image and when I print on my R1800 I get gloss optimizer sprayed on this white border. This helps me correctly trim my prints to size and I am not worried about the added cost of the "wasted" gloss optimizer.

I noticed that Qimage has a border option which seems to do the same thing but when I printed using it I didn't get gloss optimizer sprayed in the border area. I used the same settings in the printer driver as with my other increases canvas images.

Is there a way to get Qimage to instruct the printer to spray gloss opt on the borders while using the border options in Qimage?

Right now I have been archiving TIFF files both with and without the borders which is really a waste. If I could take care of all this in Qimage I could skip using Photoshop at all on many images that don't need any corrections other than what I do in my RAW conversion software (currently using Canon DPP but may switch to CaptureOne or Rawshooter after they have full support for the 30D). Unfortunely DPP 2.1 at least doesn't seem to support borders

Thanks,

-Darryl
darrylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 10:13 AM   #2

So I guess Qimage can't do this then eh?

-Darryl
Old May 8, 2006, 6:06 PM   #3

It's not a function of Qimage. It is more accurate to say the driver can't do it. To have gloss optimizer on white areas, you need to use the "Full" option for the gloss instead of "Auto". When you use a white border, Qimage is sending the white border to the print driver so if it isn't putting any gloss optimizer on the page, it is due to a driver limitation. Now, there could be other reasons for getting gloss optimizer on your increased canvas images, such as those images being in a different color space and white ending up as some color slightly "off" from white. You might want to select a custom color like 254, 254, 254 as your border instead of white (255,255,255). That might force the driver to use some gloss optimizer. That's the only trick I can think of since it is up to the driver to place the gloss optimizer and Qimage is sending the border correctly.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:57 PM   #4

Ok thanks for your help Mike!

-Darryl