Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Apr 14, 2003, 8:23 PM   #1

Default JPEG Rotation

Under Batch Filter (Queue), you have Lossless JPEG Rotation as a menu item on top, and a rotate button on the right hand side of the screen. My question is this:

Are BOTH lossless?

When I did a rotation using the button, I lost my EXIF data, but using the menu item, I do not.

Also, I get a different popup window with different options: Why?

Thanks
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2003, 2:30 PM   #2

The two options are meant for different workflows. Lossless JPEG transforms are there to allow you to do some simple manipulations and resave JPEG's with no further compression losses.

Note that all Qimage filters and enhancements are lossless by default if you simply associate the filter with the original. The only time you will lose EXIF info is if you choose to create copies of the images with the filters already applied.

In other words, if you use the "Rotate" filter and associate that filter to your original JPEG, you'll retain your EXIF info and will not incur any further compression losses from JPEG compression.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 7:46 PM   #3

Mike, I'm not talking about associating filters with an image. I'm talking about rotating the image and resaving the file by overwriting the original JPG.

So is that process lossless in both situitations and is EXIF data lost in either one?

Thanks
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2003, 10:01 AM   #4

The only lossless operations are under lossless JPEG transforms. You will lose EXIF data and incur further JPEG compression losses if you resave using any other filters.
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote