Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old May 4, 2006, 10:47 AM   #1

Just got an Epson 4800 and Qimage.

I've got it working pretty quickly and the output is fantastic with Qimage!

However is there a way to have qimage work with the roll paper a bit more easily. Currently I've set up various paper sizes e.g. 16x30" and then add my images of vrious sizes to this page. This works well but I get a lot of wasted paper if I only print a few small images.

The qimage does a great job of sorting and tiling the images to use the paper in the best way. But if I only print a few small images I can get a 26" bit of blank paper.

Is there a way to treat the roll as "infinite" (or thereabouts) and for the printer to cut the paper when the images have been printed thereby not wasting the extra white space (paper) that isn't used?

I hope I've explained it well and not conused anybody:-)
sjedwardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

The only way the 4800 can do this is to select "roll paper (banner)" and then check "save roll paper" at the bottom. If you do that, it will cut it after the last print, regardless of the defined paper length. Unfortunately, there is no way to have an arbitrary length because paper width and paper length are requirements for Windows, so the length must be defined as something: it's a Windows/driver requirement.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 4:15 PM   #3

Mike - Thanks.

So if I choose these 2 options do I then have to set up a paper size, say 16 x 60 (or whatever the maximum allowed).

If I then print 1 7x5 picture on this giant sized page the printer will automatically cut it just after the first print and not feed out 53" of blank?

Do I need to tel Qimage anything else? I'm maninly concerned about where I should place the images, at the top or the bottom of the page to avoid waste.

sjedwardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 5:59 PM   #4

You can set your page length to anything you like. If you check "save roll paper" in the driver, the driver will simply cut just after the last print on the page, eliminating the gap at the bottom of the page. Having said that, you'd want to use somthing like "compact" or "optimal" placement to ensure that Qimage places photos from the top down on the page.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote