Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old May 14, 2006, 1:17 PM   #1

I have a great interest in Qimage. That interest is because of QI's huge potentials but it is also because I would like to be able to use it regularly in my photo printing.

I have been trying and checking it for months now and yet *I cannot use it regularly*.

These are the absolutely two minimum requirements for me to use it (and they would be excellent for everybody too!):

1. Every single print that I sell or simply give to anybody, I have to put a *signature* in it and I have to include *an aprox. 3 point high id number* in that signature too. The professional way is of course to place the exact signature, of the the same size and in the same exact position in the prints. In Photoshop I have template images for the different signatures, which include a text layer with a number 3 point high and a transparent background. For each print I make a duplicate of the the desired template, edit the text layer to show the right number, flatten the image and drag the whole thing to the image waiting to be printed. (Yes, 3 point text is absolutely readable and totally inobstrusive!).

I have worked to include at least static signatures in QI designing "cutouts", but then the signature changes shape with any changes in aspect ratio of the print. I do play with aspect ratios a lot as most artistic photographers do.

Even worst, QI seems to have problems with those cutouts and easily crashes when they are used. Which brings me to the second basic impediment for me to use QI:

2. QI crashes a lot! I run it in Windows 2000, and its favorite way to crash is just that QI vanishes from the screen! Also frequently it (Windows, maybe) lets know there are indexing errors and then it is even hard to get out of it. Frequently I end up restarting Windows.

I have seen QI vanish from the screen while doing almost anything. Resizing a print, exiting the full editor, dragging a picture to the page (most often when it has a cutout attached), or after the print command.

Only two or three times I got a debugging message, two of which I captured and are in the links below.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rrorScreen.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen2.jpg

Very unfortunately I have never been able to make a crash 100% repeatable, to report it to Mike. The only thing I know for sure is that my cutouts make the things worse. Sometimes they print OK, but recently it was absolutely imposible to put 4 prints on a page, each with a signature/cutout. Adding pictures without cutouts crashed it too. As I was very much interested in checking the design of the cutouts, finally I printed when I just managed to place only two pictures on the page, one with and another without cutout (which printed beautifully!).

In case Mike want to look into this, here is one of the signature/cutouts I was trying to use. Again, there are many crashes with no cutouts involved too.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/QI/PieRicQI5x4.tif

More recently, before posting this, I attempted again to place the four pics in a page with my cutouts. I managed to place three and even attached the cutouts. Then I placed the fourth one and *when just clicked it on the page*, to select it and attach the cutout too, just the click made QI to disappear from the screen.

Then I attempted to restart QI. It froze while showing the innitial spash.

Yet another attempt:

Windows 2000 restarted. QI restarted. The four pictures placed using QI's "template"/centered mode (all the previous attempts were made using a four-a-page layout of mine). Three of them already have the cutout. I moved to the Full Page Editor. There I notice marging to the right is set to 0.07. I just replace the "7" by a "4". The second I type "4" the error screen below appears and I have to remove QI using Windows Task Manager.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen3.jpg

Yet another error screen. It appeared while the image was processed (I have printed the same several times before and after this crash).

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen4.jpg

Will I ever be able to use Qimage?

Thank you for your attention,

Rick Trelles

RickTrelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 9:48 AM   #2

Since you are the only one experiencing such crashes, we'd need to look into other software you are running to see if there is a conflict somewhere. Sometimes virus scanning software, ad blockers, or other types of utilities can cause trouble. If you can give some info like the machine you are using, the utilities you are running, and a workflow that produces an error and/or a specific error message, I may be able to help further.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:32 PM   #3

No, I am working on a fresh Windows 2000 (2003 built) installation. No other software running. I's a photo processing/print station I am trying to put together.

Maybe a very simple, very useful, way to help Qimage work in professional workflows is implementing a simpler version of the current "cutouts" for signatures.

The current squeme to represent transparency could be kept for the sigs. They would have the actual output resolution (600, 720, other) and there would be no resizing nor reshaping at output.

QI only makes one resized version for the screen.

All sigs are aligned with the output making the right bottom corners to coincide.

Simpler operations, making it harder to put the program in trouble and crash.

Also, in general it is better to require to hit Enter for manual inputs. No "live" updates while the user is typing data.

Not too hard, eh?

Thank you,

Rick Trelles

Old May 22, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4

Lattest version, 275.

Two pictures, with cutout/signature, were placed in the four-a-page layout. A third one was dragged to the page. Just when it was let go, the second picture disappeared from the page and the program crashed. Task Manager was needed to remove it.

See here
http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen7.jpg

It's amazing that a window (the page) that has two components (pictures) already displayed doesn't show anymore one that hasn't received any actions on it.

One could guess the components to be shown are in a linked list (links are pointers to next item), the operation of adding the third wrongly writes zero on the link from the first to the second and surely overwrites much more. When the window is painted (Windows term for updating a window), nothing is found to show beyond the first component and the rest of the overwriting takes its toll too.

Rick
Old May 26, 2006, 7:47 AM   #5

Again, since this same sequence cannot be reproduced by anyone else and you are the only person experiencing problems like these, you'd have to look into specifically what is going on with your system and/or how it is configured. The error address you show doesn't even point to Qimage code: it points to generic Windows code involved with allocating memory. In other words, it's a general Windows memory allocation fault.

You have something strange going on with your machine!

Mike
Old May 26, 2006, 12:06 PM   #6

Address 00401F1C in module 'Qimage.exe' attempted to write in address FDFDF2F4 (and surely elsewhere)...

When this incident happened, a couple of vanishments occured first while setting the cutouts/signatures that I need to use. *I didn't reboot Windows 2000*, I just restarted Qimage, the cutouts were already set but then the incident and screen error happened as described before.

As the cutouts were already set, at another time, with Windows rebooted, I could do the placement of the three pictures, but then when I took a fourth picture from another folder and set the cutout I got another vanishment handling this last picture.

If at least we had a simpler way to use signatures, maybe as I proposed before, there were less chances of Qimage getting in trouble.

Thanks,

Rick

Old May 27, 2006, 7:51 PM   #7

OK. Newest interesting incident that I could grab a record of.

*No attempts of using my cutout/signatures here*. As I have already said, problems occur more with the cutouts but not only with the cutouts.

I successfuly placed four prints using my regular four-a-page layout and even printed it. Then I wanted to print the same page using another kind of paper. I go to the Color Management window to change printer profile. Everything went OK until I am given the option of resetting the printer automatically for the new profile. When I say YES *three of the pictures on the page disappear* and an access violation window pops:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen8.jpg

When I hit OK on the error window the window goes away but the cursor turns into the sand clock with no stopping. (I already grabbed the error screen, so I try to go on experimenting trying to find out more.) I hit OK on the Color Management window *using the sand clock*, it works!, and I get again the option or autoresetting the printer. *Each time I answer YES to the autoresetting* I get the access violation error again but I can do these same steps again.

Finally I aswer NO to the autoresetting and then there is no access violation. But when I return to the main QI and check the printer it did was reset for the new profile.

I didn't dare to try fill the page with the vanished prints, so I reboot and started again. As I could do a normal exit from QI, when I restarted all was set and I could print with the other paper.

Recapping: Just by asking to autoreset the printer for the loaded profile, three pictures disappeared from the page and an access violation occured.

By the way, before this happened I did more that just place the four pictures in the layout. I did croppings and rescaling on each in the full page editor.

As I said before, if the prints in the page are in a linked list internally, probably the links get corrupted.

Rick

Old May 29, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8

Yet another attempt to use a cutout/signature like my "PieRic QI 4x5.tif" (portrait version of PieRicQI5x4.tif available in link above).

Just by selecting the cutout, the cutout shows but with the following screen:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...rorScreen9.jpg

When OK was hit I could return to the main screen, but the contents of the gallery doesn't show:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...orScreen10.jpg

Just to experiment I try to show another folder in the gallery. The other folder shows, but when I try to return to the original folder the error persists. The list of items in the current gallery got corrupted just by selecting a cutout!

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/i/RicFoto/...orScreen11.jpg

It is not that every time any cutout is selected a malfuction shows. It is that cutouts get resized and reshaped to fit the print area, and to fit every different appearance on the screen. If that is not done with solid enough, clean enough, code, the program can get in trouble.

If at least we had a simple way to use the much needed signatures, with no reshaping nor resizing...

Rick
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:07 PM   #9

These errors all point to corruption in different forms on your system. The access violation you got when you tried to reset the printer settings is coming from a callback error in your print driver (I traced the address and it isn't in Qimage code but rather the Windows print driver callback function). The "invalid pointer operation" you got when applying the cutout is coming from a bad TIFF file header where information in the header is corrupted and pointing to a location beyond the end of the file. So it seems you have some bad config(s) on your system and in addition, some corrupted image files. I'm not sure there is much I can do as you are the only one having the problems and they are only occurring on your particular machine. As I sometimes say, if something stinks, other people only smell it when you are around, and the smell seems to follow you wherever you go... better check your own pants! :-)

Mike
Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:00 AM   #10

Mike, I feel almost embarrased insisting so much on this issue. The reasons I have to are mentioned right at the top of this thread.

Photoshop and all the other software work perfectly in that system. Is the following statement another guess of yours or you have found the heading corrupted? (By the way, I wrote a TIFF file reader very long ago, and of course bad pointers in the header are the minimal, simplest, checking for robustness in those readers.)

>
The "invalid pointer operation" you got when applying the cutout is coming from a bad TIFF file header where information in the header is corrupted and pointing to a location beyond the end of the file.
<

(You see, I'm taking no offence about your guess on my pants--after so many guesses of yours above.) :G

Rick