Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old May 16, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

I am curious as to what you mean by "Gamma" in the Edit panel. Gamma, as it applies to monitors, has a meaning much different than gamma as used in film transfer functions. They are different.

It appears that Qimage gamma follows the film perspective, ie lowering the number changes the slope of the transfer function. Since that can also be done in curves, I want to know why that is also included.

I cannot find the reference in the manual, alhough it is highlighted in Find. Here, there are 30 references to gamma but the site will only display 4.

Thank you
Catlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2

Gamma only has one meaning in digital imaging as far as I know, and that is an exponential function defined by L^(1/G) where L is a luminance value between 0 and 1 and G is your gamma value. Both the "Gamma" filter in Qimage and the "M" for midtones in levels does the same thing. It is offered in both places simply because many people don't know how (or don't want to) operate the levels control but they are familiar with the term "gamma". Gamma is also a common term when talking about monitors and color spaces, i.e. gamma 1.8, gamma 2.2, etc. They all refer to the same function.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks!
Catlow is offline   Reply With Quote