Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old May 26, 2006, 7:31 PM   #1

I downloaded the QI demo because I was having trouble printing some large files using Photoshop CS/Epson Driver on my Epson 9600. However, when I point QI tothe folder containing these files, I get an "Image Read Error" in the Preview window for all of my larger files (typically 30 X 45 @360dpi .psd or .tif files). QI generates previews for my smaller files just fine.

I have tried increasing my Windows paging file but still get the same error. I know I could start with a smaller file and have QI interpolate, but I really would rather use my files.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Ken
klee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2

Some updates since my earlier post:
  • The files I am having problems with are flattened 8 bit Windows Tiff (.tif) files with no extra paths or alpha channels [/*]
  • Even though the files are smaller than the 900 MB limit for QI, I still get "Image Read Error". However, if I crop the same files so they are less than about 750MB, then QI is able to generate a preview[/*]
Since my main interest in QI is for printing very large files, is there anything else I can do to make QI read files closer to its theoretical 900 MB limit?

-Ken
klee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 1:49 PM   #3

That last 15% (750 versus 900 MB) depends on your machine, OS, RAM and other factors. How much RAM is in the machine and what are your virtual memory settings? Also, is the machine pretty "clean" as far as utilities installed and you running Qimage without anything else open (like PhotoShop) that might eat memory? Also, are these larger files upsampled versions? I sometimes find that people will take a 60 MB file and upsample it to 900 MB prior to giving it to Qimage, which is a waste since if you don't have enough "original" pixels to give you that 900 MB, you are just bloating the file size without any benefit. Do you actually have original with 900 MB of real informaiton?

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4

Hi Mike and Ken,

I'm having virtually the identical problem. Trying to print a 779 meg tiff file (stitched pan). PS is shut off. Interesting enough, PSCS2 say the file is 559 megs in size, but the bar at the bottom of Qimage say 779 meg. Either way, I get an "image read error."

I'm in Window XP2, with 2 gigs of ram.

I've run into this before and had to reduce the file size to make it work, but I'd prefer to use all of those pixels I paid for.

Len
lenslens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:58 PM   #5

OK. This has taken a large chunk out of my Saturday, but here is where I am now, on this issue.

I started reducing the dpi count from 300 (where I started) all the way down to 120 dpi. Qimage still produced the same error message as stated above. (Progression: 300, 220, 180, 150, 120)

Meantime PSCS2 would not allow the "Print" command until I got down to 150 dpi.

Also, I could not do a "save as jpeg," until I got down to 150 dpi. At this point, saved as a jpeg, Qimage recognized the file. Finally!

So, the interesting test will now be, which will produce a better (more pleasing) print: printing in PSCS2 at 150 dpi, or Qimage at 150 dpi, as a jpeg.

Drum roll, please.......

The print made via QImage, first saved as a JPEG looked better than the Tiff file (both 150 dpi) printed from PSCS2. The QImage print looked crisper, and had more shadow detail. It was also slightly more yellow, but not objectionably so.

I'm now in the process of printing the entire print, which will be 16 feet x 24 inches. For the test, I printed a slice that was 2 feet x 2 feet.

It would still be more wonderful if I could use the full resolution of the file (300 dpi).
Attached Images

lenslens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:41 AM   #6

The 16 foot x 24 inch print will be too large for Qimage at 1.2 gigabytes. There's a pretty simple trick you can use, however. Take the 16' x 24" print at 300 PPI and split it in half. Save the left half and the right half as separate files. Then just print them in Qimage using "compact" placement so that the two halves butt against each other. If you are using roll paper (banner mode), the two halves will fit together with no seam and you won't be able to detect any break.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote