Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:53 PM   #1

Hi, guess these are just a couple of dumb ol' nube questions… But, I'm trying to generate some ICC profiles for my new R800 and stumbled on a couple of things I don't understand.

First, Prism recommends setting the Epson driver options to max (e.g., Print Quality=max, Color Management= Color Controls, Gamma=1.8, etc) before print out the test target. Once I generate the profile and load it into Qimage or Photoshop and set the driver up the as it was went the profile was generated, isn't this double profiling? Looks like Qimage will apply the first profile (the one generated by Prism) then the driver will apply its own profile on top of that. I can see where it might be useful, but dozens of places on the web list double profiling as a potential problem.

Second, I set up the printer properties for Epson R800 in Qimage and print a file. If, while the picture is printing, I then click on the printer tray icon (Windows XP) and display the printer properties they do not show those I set in Qimage, they show what ever was set as the default properties for the driver. Is this a problem with the Epson R800 driver; are the properties within the driver only attached to an individual file, or what's going on?

Along with the above question, I tried printing out the Granger Rainbow CMYK test file a few times with Color Management Off in Qimage and On in the Epson driver. When setting the Gamma in the Epson driver to 1.8 and then to 2.2, printing out the target for each, I could see no difference in the printed results. (Driver Settings = Premium Glossy, Photo RPM, Glossy Auto, Color Controls, Epson Vivid) Is it possible that even with Qimage set to "Printer/Driver will manage color" the driver is still pulling some of the settings out of the file?

Boy, ain't this fun…. I guess we all get it figger'd out eventually (or just stumble on a group of settings that work – I just love the clear and concise parameter descriptions in the Epson driver Help!).

Thanks in advance for anyone spending the time to answer…

Joe
Joe Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:31 AM   #2

First, if you use "Color Controls" in the Epson driver, no profile is being applied so there is no chance of double profiling. With the more recent Epson printer models, however, the recommended setting is "no color adjustment" in the driver, not "Color Controls". You should try profiling in the NCA mode unless you have trouble and only then fall back to "Color Controls".

Second, Qimage is one of the only programs that will remember your print driver settings. It has its own settings that are separate from the printer properties in Windows which is why they are different.

Finally, on the Granger Rainbow, I wouldn't even recommend printing that test. It is an unrealistic test that shows very little with respect to how well your profiles will work with actual photos. The reason you don't see any change with gamma 1.8 versus 2.2 on the Granger rainbow is that there won't be much difference between gamma 1.8 and 2.2 other than maybe a change in the location of the transition line between light and dark on the bottom half of the image.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:09 PM   #3

Thanks Mike…

Thanks for the info, the R800 driver doesn't say a thing about what he does in ‘Color Control' mode or at least I could find it. I'm beginning to really like Qimage as I get more familiar with its capabilities. Great program…. Thanks

Joe
Joe Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:26 PM   #4

Similar question, trying to use my custom Inkjetart profile on my Epson R300. I have the profileset in Qimage in the job properties window, and have my printer setup as ICM and no color adjustment. It is printing too dark.

If I try touncheck ICM, one of two other boxes need to be checked. Color controls or color enhancements. Idon't think I want these.

Ben Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:02 PM   #5

Fixed it. Had some settings wrong in my printer settings. The boxes for relative colormetrics and black point were not checked. Also has a printer que problem where I was printing old versions when I thought I was printed corrected ones. It works great now.
Ben Egbert is offline   Reply With Quote