Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

On two different systems, I cannot get the sizr change to update. I use PS Jump To, it queues up and the image appears sized to whatever I left the last time. Ok, go to Custom. Change size Nothing happens. No updates However, if I exit Q and restart it (from PS with Jump to) I now have the new size I entered! Playing around with the different radio buttons in Custom, suddently it updates I can now hit any size button and it will update. But, if I exit Q and reopen, it refuses to update.

I have single clicked the right screen, no use. A double click brings up the Full Page Editior, exit and next time I get the Batch dialog!

Autocrop on/off, no difference. Suddenly it starts updating.Exit and restore. back to the salt mines. No more updating.

This is true on my system driving a Canon i9900 from W2k and another system driving an Epson 9600 from XP, so it ain't the system.

Look this has to be brainless. As I said ealier, I want this to run the 9600 from a dedicated computer. I have to be able to open a file, set the printer, set the size and print No if, ands or otherwise. So How do I get there every time without having to remember a trick or two? How do I set this so it is the default process?

BTW, this is also true if I select from a thumbnail without resorting first to PS. PS isn't open then.

I have 5 days left on this computer to figure it out, more on the 9600 as I just installed it.

What's the way to set up process defaults?
Catlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2

Sounds like you might have a convoluted workflow. Why are you jumping to PS? If you want to change the print size of an image in the queue, why don't you just click on the print on the preview page to select it and then change the size in Qimage using one of the size buttons or the "Custom" size button? Are you really jumping to PS to change/set the size of the image? If so, that's a useless (and potentially quality degrading) step.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:29 PM   #3

After posting, I went back and tried again. I got it to work.

When I first aquired this program, I found that if I clicked the image in the right pane, no matter the source, I could resize. Now, that didn't work. What does work is to click in the queue and highlight the file. Then it also highlights the image window. Somehow, if this is correct operating procedure, I was getting the file highlighted when I clicked in the image pane, or somehow I was highlighting it, as I must have earlier yesterday when searching the options for a solution.

The reason for using "Jump To" is for a reasonable workflow. If I have several images in a file and alloww qimage to thumbnail, I may have to wait. This way, as in PS using "Open" instrad of the Bridge or Browser, I can immediatly get the image I want to where I want it. No waiting.

In the 9600 setup, a final image will be sent to the printer computer, which most likely not have Photoshop. I am trying to avoid full blown editing on that computer.

It appears to be operator error here, due in part to what I feel is excessive demands on the user. Once acquiring an image in the work window, I much prefer to proceed directly with the work at hand. Auto highlight of the most recent entry to the queue would work nicely.

Another question: Is there a way to see the degree of sharpening when using the "Final Print Sharpening"? I sharpened a print moving from default to medium and ruined the image. I need to see the actual image or have access to the numbers, not just low, medium large and OMG! :-)

Thank you
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:52 PM   #4

I'm still not following what you were doing, since clicking on the print on the preview page is all that is required (that will also select/highlight the file in the queue). In any case, to answer your second question, you need to print. There is no way to preview or predict the sharpness of your prints on your printer with your print driver settings and the paper you are using without printing at least a test strip. There is too much variation among printers, inks, papers, and driver settings to be able to preview print sharpness.

Mike
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:22 PM   #5

Well, there is some sort of hangup. I opened a file in PS, Jumped to Q and highlighted the image pane. Both queue and image highlighted. I closed Q, did a re-jump from PS and now, I can highlight the image plane but the queue does not light. I selected an image from the thumbnails and again, highlight the image but the queue remains dark. This is starting from scratch each time, ie opening and closing Q.

It looks like some sort of corruption. I may try to reinstall the software, but as I have only 4 days left, if I can't solve it here and on the XP computer running the 9600, I'm dead in the water.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:54 PM   #6

Ok, here's more:

I drag an image to the right hand pane, inside the canvas. Image appears. No image or queue highlight. I click on the pane but not the image. Nothing happens. I click on the image, nothing happens. I double click the pane outside the image and I get the full page editor. Quit this, no highlight.

Now, quit Q Open it again. Drag same image (clean, 8 bit, no layers or alpha channels). Click inside the image Voila! All light up. Now go get the full page editior and then quit. Hey! Queue and image no longer lit. Clicking the image does nothing.

Another anomaly. If I double click the pane outside the image I get the Full page editor. If I double click a properly lit queue, I get the big editor (sharpness, color balance etc) No name on this BTW. If I double click the unlit image I get the Full page editor.

I can see that I have been fouling up as I move through the tools which operate in a fashion I can only describe as capricious. At least to my way of thinking. The only saving grace is to always click the queue if you want to work and be sure it is lit. Image clicking is at your peril!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:39 AM   #7

Is your mouse set to perform any special functions/features? I've heard of a couple of people having problems when using laptop finger pads that were configured "strangely". That's about the only thing I can think of because I have no other reports of problems selecting prints on the preview page.

Mike
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:24 AM   #8

The wireless is configured to my hand and preferences, however, the left and right buttons (paddles, really!) are standard.

I will see how the Epson computer runs. It has the standard, non-programmable mouse.

If it is the mouse, I wonder about the strange problems that crop up in PS. Not mine but some of the complaints in the PS forums....
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:18 PM   #9

Well, it's not the mouse. Both computers behave the same, and one has your basic, non-programmable mouse.

Be that as it may, those difficulties can be overcome. So, I decided to use my last days of qimage to print out an order for a client. 6 prints for the gallery. Everything loaded up, the test print is fine. go again and enter 5 in the copies menu. Ha! I get one. And, in order to finish the print order, I have to wait for qimage to redo. Each print.

I finished in PS. The difference in output is not a problem, except that qimage does print lighter than PS for the same file and profile.

I cannot abide by the extra time.

Sic Transit Gloria!