Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing - Qimage Support Forum

Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:58 PM   #1

Hi,

I have been doing some fairly extreme tests with various versions of Qimage interpolating images to rather large sizes. Tests have ben done using Pyramid and the new Hybrid Interpolation methods but I get the same error. Original files are D70 images and I have tried with both 8 and 16 bit images

I am running on Win XP pro on a Pentium D with 2GB RAM and multi Gigabytes of available disk space.

Qimage "crashes" with an error message that there is "not enough storage" available. this happens on both the 2006 and 2007 versions.

I have noticed that the problem happens when file widths get to larger than 7200 pixels about a 1600% increase in file size. I still have RAM and disk space available so I am thinking that the eroor may be a bit of a red herring.

Is this a Qimage limitation or is it something I am doing wrong?
digiblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:53 AM   #2

7200 by what? What's the total pixel resolution? Windows can only address 2 GB total (including the operating system and everything else you have running) so I suspect you are asking it to do the impossible. To know, however, I'd need to know the steps you are using (what functions in Qimage are you using and how are you using them) and I'd need to know the final resolution for the image(s) you are trying to create.

Mike
http://www.ddisoftware.com
mchaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:34 AM   #3

I have always thought that the windows limit for 32 bit OS and applications is 4Gb, not 2gb. Am I wrong?

Image size that works is roughly 7200 x 11100 and producing a 230 -240mb file. PC has 2GB of ram and the disk with the swap file (2GB currently allocated to a swap file on a different drive with about 30 Gb free space) and temp directory drive still has 50Gb free space.

Workflow is as follows:

- Open Qimage

- select single file from Qimage browser, double click and put in queue

-double click image in queue to open the adjustment screen

-type in 7500 pixels in the image size box for the small side of the image. It automatically works our that the image ito be about 11300 pixels on the long side

- Interperlation settings now are hybrid (previously pyramid in the older version I tested) and all the defaults for sharpening etc

- click apply. with one firefox browser window, the task manager plus Qimage and the file loaded running, starting available memory is approx 1.3Gb with 511 PF Usage.

At the time the process comes back with the "not enough storage is available to process this command" message, there is still about 790mb Physical memory available and the PF usage is up to 1.04Gb in task manager. Disk space is still available as well.

Any Ideas?

Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:24 AM   #4

The Windows memory limit is 2 GB not 4 GB. No matter what size you have set for the swap file (virtual memory), it will never allow a program to use more than 2 GB of memory. There are ways to "tweak" this to 3 GB by fooling with Windows startup parameters but in general, most programs won't use the extra GB and it can cause the OS to become unstable under some conditions. Your 7200 x 11100 image is about 240 MB. Since some operations require two copies of the final image in memory at the same time for "scratch" operations, that means the image may need as much as 480 MB of RAM. Normally that shouldn't be a problem unless you have a lot of other stuff running. I'd have to test your specific workflow under different conditions to see what might be contributing to the problem. I'll try a few things and will report back.

Mike
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5

The thing that strikes me as strange is that the message is that there is not enough storage. there is still plenty of RAM available (790mb) and plenty of disk space available

What things trigger the "not enough storage message" in your code?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:59 PM   #6

v2007.117 will allow resampling up to about 500 MB file sizes, about double what it was before. The limitation here is that there is a 2 GB limit on any program running in Windows and about a 1 GB limit on storage for internal bitmaps (images). The 500 MB resampled file size is the best I can do for now (without a major programming change) given the Windows limitations. For less complex operations that don't require scratch data (like simply loading saved images), the limit is about 900 MB.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:11 PM   #7

I have got hold of 2007.118 and on screen I can now get larger interpolations on 8 bit images up to a width of about 9400 pixels. However I get an IO error number 103 if I try and do a "save as" to jpeg of the large file. I have not yet tried doing the save as and interpolation in the same step yet.

I have not had enough time to nail down the limits of what will work and save as yet. I will get back to you when i get a chance to test more

mchaney wrote:
Quote:
v2007.117 will allow resampling up to about 500 MB file sizes, about double what it was before. The limitation here is that there is a 2 GB limit on any program running in Windows and about a 1 GB limit on storage for internal bitmaps (images). The 500 MB resampled file size is the best I can do for now (without a major programming change) given the Windows limitations. For less complex operations that don't require scratch data (like simply loading saved images), the limit is about 900 MB.

Mike
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:13 AM   #8

IO Error 103 is an internal Windows file system error that happens, for example, when Windows loses track of or runs out of file handles. Haven't seen that one before, but I suspect saving as a TIFF might help. JPEG comes with its own internal restrictions that might come into play.

Mike
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9

I can manage an 8000 x13044 pixel image (260MB). Anything bigger than that is giving an out of storage message but no IO error trying Tiff. If I try the conversion a 2nd time without shutting down qimage, I get an invalid handle message.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:02 PM   #10

I can easily do 450 MB+ upsamples here. I do nothing more than go into the batch filter, change the resolution to something like 10000 x 15000, click Done, and tell it to save a TIFF. If you are doing anything other than that routine, you may be using more memory than needed. BTW, I was using Hybrid interpolation. Some interpolators require more memory than others.

Mike