Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:58 AM   #11

thanks for the info mate i will look in to that
Dmaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:26 PM   #12

I have the program to control NIKON camera,SDK of NIKON D80,D100 camera,but I have not SDK for D40X,do you find it?
cnkmgaoqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:22 AM   #13

no I did not find it
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:21 PM   #14

I got this to work. I was able to control my D70 which is probably the same or very similar to the D40 from visual basic through the USB cable without purchasing any software. There were a few key stumbling blocks. You can email me for code and details if you want but the two main things I had to figure out where 1) on the nikon there is a menu item where you can set USB to either PTP mode (that's what you want) or Storage Device mode (that's useful for transfering pics but you can do it in PTP mode also through software).

The second important thing to know was that you want to get the WIA (Windows® Image Acquisition Automation Library) software SDK for free from microsoft. They supply a key dll (which you must register) and also sample code for both visual basic and for a web page to control the camera (weird). I also wrote my own code to take pictures and adjust exposures multiple times just as you needed. If you want my simple vb code you can have it.

- George
gr5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:48 AM   #15

thanks SO SO much , I have sent you an Email
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:03 AM   #16

Hi,

I was just doing a quick Google search and I came across this thread. I'm basically looking to do the same thing. I'd like to be able to trigger the shutter release on my D40x with a sound via a microphone.

I'd really appreciate it if you could send me on the code too...

Thanks in advance,
Ciarán.

oneillci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:45 PM   #17

You're email is private so I don't know how to contact you (mine is not private so go for it - I think you start by clicking on my name to the left). But if you don't have visual basic then you won't be able to use what I wrote so far.

-gr
gr5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:58 PM   #18

Thanks for the suggestion, gr5555.

Using the WIA SDK, I whipped up this little application do do pseudo exposure bracketing for HDR photography. I have used Camera Control Pro, but I wanted something that could easily take multiple successive shots for HDR stitching. This program requires that your camera be tethered to the computer in MTP/PTP mode and that the mode be set to manual. I'm not sure if this would work on any of the other Nikons (i.e., D50, D70, D80), but I presume it should work with the D40. It works fine with my D40X, but I wanted to make sure that it works for others before I expend too much more time on developing it. All you need to do is unzip the file to a free folder and run "Semifluid.com D40X Exposure Bracketing DR1r1.exe"

http://www.semifluid.com/temporary/D...Bracketing.zip

-special [k]
special4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:36 PM   #19

wow i just have little idea, that i gonna build a embeded usb remote for this bracketing shoot.

then you answer so quick...

i'll try to implemnent this to a uC.
Japri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:44 AM   #20

Hi
I hope you found solution. If you still need it you can do on different way. It is easy to make program for IC remote controller, So you can easy trigger the shuter but not the exposure. Other way is to to sniff USB port when you use standard Nikon SW for remote control and find codes. I hope I help.
Rgds
emes is offline   Reply With Quote