Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Jun 19, 2007, 2:05 AM   #1

I want to write my own Windows program to control my Nikon D40X, so far I have had no luck finding the control commands to send to the camera. could anyone here send me some info or tell me where I could find it ? . I only want to be able to trigger the shutter and set the exposure. I know about the program Nikon make (CCP) but this wontwork as I want , you see I need to be able to press one button on my PC and the camera take 16 shots each with a diffrent exposure setting. I work with3d animation programs and need to make my own HDRI pictures so it would be so muchbetter if I could just press one button todo this , right nowI have to set the exposure take the shot then reset the exposure take my next shot and so on.I know how to write programs for windows so I only need the control commands.
any info would be great . Thanks for Reading
Dmaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:42 PM   #2

can no one help me with this info ? . do any of you have theNikon SDK ? maybe you could send me a few bits from it ?. I have filled in a form for the SDK from the nikon site but not had a reply.

Thanks for reading
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:53 AM   #3

No bits! :blah:

Nikon may offer a SDK with application (as Canon does). Just explain what you're
doing and you get it. This will save you a lot time, instead of writing this for your own.
I'm now into such a "quickly I write a program"-project:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=44

Or go to sourceforge.org and search for nikon (and remote?), there are a couple of projects revealing it's source code about controling the camera. Last but not least, you should find software on the net doing what you want. Look for "remote control" and Nikon.
Good luck,
Sasha
zour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:54 AM   #4

Old Jun 22, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:44 AM   #6

ok Zour I have been looking but not had any luck so far I have found a few bits for the CoolPix cameras but not for mine (D40X) anyway thanks for your input I will look at source forge and see what I can find there.

thanks for your reply mate
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:31 PM   #7

well I did not find anything in sourceforge , I have Emailed the form off to Nikon for the SDK so just waiting for a reply.whycant they just put itonline for download ?.

anyway i will post up here and let you guys knows how I get on.

Thanks for reading
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:42 AM   #8

Nikon turned me downfor the SDK so Im well pi**ed off . Ive got the fp space if someone could upload it to me or a part of it ? . all I need the the source code for remote controling the camera ,or just the codes... please could someone help me out ?

and thanks for the info zourbut there is no program out there that will do what I need thats why I need to write it myself
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:26 PM   #9

PLEASE ! PLEASE !PLEASE ! PLEASE ! can someone help me out with this ? one of you guys must have some info on Nikons SDK. I just want to be able totrigger the shutter and set the exposure. I have wrote a small program that sends data to the usb port but I just dont have the command codes for the Nikon so I dont know what to send.

Please if anyone has this infomation could you please send it to me .

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:48 AM   #10

Hi,

I am new to this too, but I have some info to share.

The protocol used is called PTP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol
There is an ISO spec you can buy at:
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue...csnumber=37445

I am trying to figure out what inexpensive camera I can get to use in the lab for some simple measurments. I need a non-contact way to take the measurments and digital photography meets the need. Some cameras (most?) have PTP that will transfer images, but which ones support settting shutter speed, aperture, and command the camera to take an image, etc., I have no idea.

I don't savvy C, I use LabVIEW (By National Instruments) instead.

I could buy the vision and image tool kit that NI sells which is way overkill, or I can try something called IVision. The woman that wrote this has worked out all the details you need to work out. I have no idea if she will talk to you about it, but her name is Irene He in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I also haven't figured out how to use her software yet. But I have messed around with her PTPCam Toolkit Demo. It does transfer pictures from all the cameras I have, but none of them have the other remote control functions that PTP makes available. This software queries the camera for its function and disables the software ability to take a picture, if thoose functions are not available. So I know by inference that she can get that info from a camera and command it to shoot. That is pretty much what you want to do also.

Here are links to here wesite:

http://www.hytekautomation.com/Products/PTPCam.html
http://www.hytekautomation.com/Products/IVision.html

I am betting the PTPcam software would do what you want, but you don't have LabVIEW to run it. You could try the demo versions that NI gives out. I don't know what the terms of the demo license are since I have the full software.

This is Irene's business so I don't know why she would give away anything. But maybe you can work a deal with her on the C code that will help you out. It is not open source so I am certain she would prefer to restrict the use of the code anywhere else. It is her IP so she gets to decide.

Mike

mross is offline   Reply With Quote