Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1

Ok for those of you who lurk in the Fujifilm forums you most likely already know that I've gotten one of those "super zoom" 18x optical cameras.
And we all know what happens when you zoom that far out, just a little shake, some tripod movement, pressing the trigger, and even breathing, is magnified (pun intended).
So I've been looking for a Remote.

Just so I can understand it all, there seems to be 4 types of remotes.

1. Cabled: It connects to the USB port and works old school, press the button & it takes a photo. Although having a toggle to zoom in and out would be a nice luxury too.

2. RF-Wireless: It'll have a little RF do-hicky (antenna) that connects to the USB port. And the remote control can trigger the shutter from practically anywhere. And again having the ability to zoom in and out would be a nice luxury.

3. Motorized: Less than ideal but a possible solution. It could strap on above the trigger, a small motor would depress the trigger. This solution could be Cabled or Wireless. Obviously this probably isn't such a good solution.

4. IR-Wireless: Like the RF wireless but limited to line of sight or signal bouncing and can require bicycle mirrors, fiber optics, and so on.

Building a remote could be interesting too, but I figure that without Fujifilm's help I can't make a cabled, or wireless remote because the firmware probably needs to be programmed. So that leaves me designing (anyone got some blueprints?) and scratch-building a motorized...

Ideally there'd be a Fujifilm or third party remote that I could just buy.
I was wondering if any such a beasts exists that might work with my Fujifilm Finepix S8000fd?

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 1:53 PM   #2

i have read fujis spec for the cam and they dont seem to mention remote control, but do mention self timer which u can use to fire the shutter

you could use a servo and remote control, like used in model aircraft etc to press the shutter button but that would be costly way of doing it

i have a kite rig for my camera and can fire shutter via infra red from 300 foot away, because the signal is sent to the reciever near the camera by radio then it triggers infra red what fires the shutter, this is no use if the camera does not support infra red remote controls though

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:57 PM   #3

Hey thanks Reanimator for having a look around, & the info.
These servos sound like they may work.

I can't say that the self timer is always so good because the timer must be reset each and every time.
For example lets say that I was going to do a photo study of myself preparing a canvas to paint.
I'd have to stop and put down what I was in my hands, reach around the camera and mash the buttons to set the 10 second timer. Press the trigger, go and gather the brushes and as I'm starting to look-up (at the canvas), with my arm just swinging up towards the palette when.. Click!
So then I'd have to stop and put ... well you get the idea.

I guess I'll give it a few weeks, and if I can't find anything third party then I think I may visit the local RF Clubs and see what servos they can suggest or come up with. They'll probably know what available types, or brands of servo might be suitable.

JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:24 AM   #4

hi mate

brands dont mater all a servo is just an enclosed motor that moves a cam or lever

have a look at the pic in this link

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/images/frontview.JPG

its a kite rig, but ontop of the camera a servo is layed down with a yellow thing on the end (number 9) to press the shutter

here it is close up http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/200...g4/rig4_09.jpg

servos are cheap......look on ebay ......u will also need a cheap reciever, its what servo plugs into and a transmitter, like what controls a rc car.

everything can be picked up on ebay cheaply, like i mentioned i can get 300 foot control of cam on my kite, which is quite cool

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/ link to first page of site, maybe some intresting stuff on there for u to read

Gary

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:47 PM   #5

Just ran across this on another forum.

http://www.trafficshaper.com/RR-80/RR-80.html
Wolverine@MSU is offline   Reply With Quote