Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Help..Need best DigiCam for PC remote control

I am going to be mounting a Digital Camera on the end of a mobile mast and I want to control it via computer. I was looking at the Canon 10D and now the Digital Rebel using RemoteCapture. Unfortunately, I cannot preview images because it is an SLR. I assume that I can't use the video out as a preview either for the same reason. My current plan would be to activate the shutter, look at the image and rotate/zoom the camera as needed and try again. Does anyone know how long the Canon 10D or Rebel takes to download a RAW image to the computer via USB 1.1? Speed isn't vital but I don't want to sit there all day waiting to download an image just so I can reposition the camera!

I would also consider a high end non SLR Digital if it had fully functional remote capture/control software including preview. I am looking at the Sony Cybershot DSC-F828 but I don't see any remote capture capability, is that correct?

I might just use the Canon as best I can and mount a remote video camera next to it help me position the mast. I am trying to avoid this complexity and feel that there has to be a digital camera system with the PC control I need.....any suggestions???

TIA,
Tim
GElevations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2003, 11:26 AM   #2

In answer to my own question, I just discovered the link to Breeze Systems 10D Remote and I think that might do the trick. Anyone used this on their 10D?

Tim
Old Nov 7, 2003, 7:42 PM   #3

Tim,
It looks to me that breeze systems remote is very similiar to canon's remote capture. Have you tried using the "Test Shot" feature in Remote Capture. This will download quickly and allow you to position camera with repeative shots.
Also you might want to check http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digita...guid=115787246
for discussion on this subject.
Also look at this link for a similair application:
http://www.liquidfusion.com.au/astro/dslrfocus/
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 8:13 PM   #4

Hi Tim,

I'm curious why you would chose an SLR camera over one of the lower cost models, that have video outputs?

For instance, a Nikon Coolpix has an active video signal that shows what the camera is 'seeing', and then shows a qucik review of each picture that is captured. We've sold a number of DigiSnaps to control cameras on poles and cranes, and the bulk have used this class of camera, rather than an SLR.

Mark
Harbortronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:23 PM   #5

Mark,

As to why a Dig/SLR I guess the main reason is the lense flexibility and the image quality. Also there seems to be alot of support for the Canon D/SLR's. This is important as I want to have the greatest range of options down the road.

Which Nikon are you suggesting? Is the Nikon controlled via the USB as well? Do you know of a link where I can preview or see what the Nikon remote software does? Having video before the shot is made is a plus, obviously.

I was planning to use the Canon 10D for alot of reasons but since I'm waiting on other components, I still looking at other camera's.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:34 PM   #6

Ted,

I don't have a Canon camera as of yet but it looked to me like the Breeze software had a few more functions. I have been away working on other projects but I will take another look at the included RemoteCapture software. Thanks for the links!

Tim
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:16 PM   #7

Tim,
I use a Coolpix 5700 for similiar applications controlling it with a Digisnap 2500 and realtime video on the monitor from an old Play Station One. I have a set of 100 foot cables (serial extension cable and video RG6/U cable) for this purpose. You do have to buy the optional serial cable for the CP5700 for around $25 to $40. Since you haven't bought the camera yet check out the Coolpix line of cameras. The CP5700 operates like a slr in that the viewfinder is electronic LCD through-the-lens(like the video cameras), but the camera doesnot have interchangeable lens. The optical zoom range is 8x.
One thing to keep in mind is that a mast tends to be subject to movement from vibration and wind depending on its rigidity and length. This might require very high shutter speeds along with high ISO settings.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:33 PM   #8

Default Help..Need best DigiCam for PC remote control

Just to finish out the thread I started earlier...the camera I decided on was the Minolta A1.

My requirements were to be able to fully control a digital camera using a pc. The camera had to have the following features;

5 meg of higher
Supporting remote software (rules out the new Sony)
Live preview thru the pc (rules out all of the DSLR's)
Wide angle lense

The A1 was really the only choice and a good one at that. It has an EVF which allows me to view the image live on the PC. I purchased the Dimage Capture software and I enjoy full control of the camera. The A1 has 28mm effective wide angle and the 5 meg images it produces are very good. The anti-shake feature is cool and it does work.

I have initially tested operating the camera thru a 75ft length of CAT5 cable w/USB extenders and it works fine. If only I could control the zoom remotely I would have everything I was looking for.

Tim
Old Nov 10, 2004, 5:07 AM   #9

Olympus digital consumer camera with inPhoto camera remote control software can be a good choice. See www.akond.ru for more details.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:26 PM   #10

Hi there,

Yes there is a free program that can let you control various Olympus model cameras.

Not only will it take images but it can do a variety of other useful functions including uploading images automatically to the Web via FTP.

Here's a look at the software running:

This is the same softwarecurrently used inprofessionally sold products and is offered free to the imaging community.

SO you can see the high quality of this software here are some nice beach and shoreline sitesbeing documentedwith this software. These cams all use the Olympus C-5060.

Click Here Beach and Shoreline Olympus webcams

Click Hereto download Free Software

EVS_Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote