Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:32 PM   #1

Default PDA ... remote

I would really like to see someone develop software to use my PDA to control my digicam!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2002, 5:57 AM   #2
NHL

Steves

If it's IR (most are) you can. I've download a learning remote control program for my HandSpring to control both my TV and Tivo about a year ago...

http://www.handango.com/handspring/P...ortParams=true

Good luck

[Edited on 8-2-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:52 AM   #3

????

what does this have to do with my question. I do not want to control a TV.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 11:15 AM   #4

There is/was one program for a Palm/Handspring developed by Greg Greaves at http://www.sqlsolutions.com.

The website isn't up right now, so I don't know if it's defunct or not. CKCPower.com also sells it, but to be honest I remember hearing some comments that it dodn't work so well. Might be worth checking out though.

I've been very surprised that no-one has come out with a 'good' program to control these cameras from a computer. There have been various attempts, but it seems that they have all had some real problems with compatibility. I can well believe this as I've been through the process with the DigiSnap 2000 series controllers. The cameras all use the same protocol, but each camera implements it differently... there are so many quirks and issues it'll drive you nuts trying to stay universal. The DigiSnap does a pretty darned good job at it, if I do say so myself.

We've not put out a computer based program as we prefer to focus on hardware development.
Harbortronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 12:31 AM   #5

I understand that, but even if your device is the controller, the interface on a PALM os device is so much more flexible that I would really like that!

Also, using a palm interface would open up a potentially huge market for you in research labs where the interface on the Nikon unit (and I assume yours) is too limiting.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 6:51 AM   #6
NHL

Steves

I thought you meant the infrared remote that come with most camera to trigger the shutter wirelessly, where the PDA can learn theses codes from the handheld remote and retransmit back to the camera... sorry.

Cameras with firewire however have standard control code built-in (unlike USB where its proprietary)
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:07 AM   #7

Oh. But I do like your idea. Whuch cameras have Ir control?
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:47 AM   #8
NHL

Most of the Canon, the G2 for one come with the wireless remote if bought as a kit!

It also come Remote Capture 2.0 from the USB port which I think now is what you've asked in the 1st place.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:38 AM   #9

Default Remote Ctrl software for Nikon Coolpix & Palm

This might be useful for some of you: a cable-based remote ctrl. software for Nikon Coolpix cameras in conjunction with Palm PDAs:

http://vyskocil.free.fr/coolcom/

It can control bulb exposures and interval sequences, and seems to be more flexible than Nikon's MC-EU1 cable.

Unfortunately, the program author does not seem to actively develop his software - I haven't seen new versions for quite sone time.
arjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:08 AM   #10

Default canon SDK

I've just got hold of the canon SDK, which should allow this.

If I can work out how to connect my s50 an an ipaq, and if there are pocketPC libraries, I could quickly knock up a small remote app.

any else tried any of this?
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote