Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Aug 6, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1

How come i only get a list of "Av" values rangeing from 20-80 to choose from? I have a canon G5. I am using the CDSetAvValue() function of the canon sdk. I want to make my image brigher. When i go from 20 to and up it does make it brighter, but not enough. Even at value 80 its still not bright enough. I think this is because this is Av 80 at f-stop 1/3. I can't seem to set values for 1/2 or 1 stop. could this be a problem and is it a limitation of my camera? Or is this a limitation of my understanding of f-stops
zodiacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2004, 12:13 PM   #2

I'm not sure about your particular camera, but did you put it in manual mode first? It may bemaking other adjustments to make sure the picture is 'good' (like lowering the shutter speed to compensate for the wider aperture).
squidfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3

Yeah, I tried "manual" and "Av" mode. You are probably right in that the shutter speed is getting changed automaticly. I will try setting the "Tv" mode on monday (which is the shutter speed right? I think I must have been getting "ISO speed" confused with shutter speed, I need to do some more reading I think.)
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:06 PM   #4

Thank you that was the problem! works great now. I have another problem tho. The white balance is setting automaticly. Is there a way to store a white balance setting and use that one at all times? I can do it manualy but not programicly. Here is my detailed thread i started about it. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...44&forum_id=44
do you know how to do this off hand?