Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1

Anyone interested in Pole Photography?
mspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:47 PM   #2

I am building a Telescopic Pole so I can take photos from places I can't get to - particularly on the tallship I sail on.

I will be using a telescopic painters pole and attaching a tripod head to the end of it to make it easy to orient the camera.

Actuation will be by using the A200 Infrared Remote. The only disadvantage with the A200 is that the zoom cannot be remote controlled.

Eventually I will add a 5 inchLCD monitor driven by the camera's TV output so I can see what the camera sees.

Mike
MikeAusA200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:29 PM   #3

PAP is my favorite. You can build a 55' pole from the details on my website http://www.bird-shots.com

Regards,

geach
Attached Images

bird-shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 11:34 AM   #4
MPA

We like Pole photography in Aus.

Here is my Air Mast system.

I make and sell these systems here, trailer or vehicle mounted.

Comes with a controller console to operate the camera mount for Pan, Tilt, Zoom and Rotate (for portrait shots)and viewfind via Video downlink.

Check the site and photo gallery.

http://www.birdcagesoft.com.au/mast/

Regards

Dave
MPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 6:35 PM   #5

Here's mine.
mspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6

Are all you Guys still doing this?
HeavensView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:54 PM   #7
MPA

HeavensView wrote:
Quote:
Are all you Guys still doing this?
I am,and business has grown a lot since the old post above with my own prototype unit on the trailer.

I now have 38 Pole systems supplied, all states of Australia and a few overseas.

All vehicle roof top mounted, we well most of them to a property photography franchise chain, and 2 new ones that have started up also and taking on photographers.

Some in Aus may have seen the vans driving around, Here is a pic of a few

The gear is now more refined than the old gear and look a lot slicker, and only takes a day or two to fit going in a set of roof racks basically.

A lot quicker to use than the old unit.

We make a 20 metre (66ft tall) air operated unit, all anodised sections and caps, user replacable parts.

The cam mount unit that goes on the pole is much advanced with no more Toy RC controls and looks a lot better than the old prototype in the above pics with tubular frame, CNC fittings and all anodised satin black..

Pics:

It is now driven off Laptop, all still wireless control via Class 1 bluetooth with a range of 100 metres and Live view and Post shot view video on the Laptop screen, user drags mouse over the live view to control cam mount axis and shooting.

Here is a short vid of thelatest unit

7MB WMVhttp://www.rvv.com.ua/Video/RVV-bluetooth-cam-mount.wmv

Laptop plugs into a comms box with single USB extension cable, that box sits on the vehicle dash when used and plugs into cig lighter for power and communicates the the camera mount on the top of the pole. The comm box and mount store together in an SKBroad case.

Being Laptop driven with in house software (written by me) it is expandable and the latest release has "Pano Bot" functions to doautomated sequential spherical or flat panoramas. User can select a pano profile, press Key and it does all positioning and shots in a sequence to the end.

The property photography chains I sell to do a lot of indoor VT's for online listing, this is aimed it that and will be used on the pole, and off the pole on a leveling stand.

So they can put it in a room, hit the key on a laptop in the next room away from it and then duck out and maybe do the exterior shots with another hand held camera while the Pano Bot is working.

All owners of ther gear do a pile of shots every day 5 days a week so time is of the essence.

For some time I had an exclusive agreement with one company to only sell to them, which was fine for the first 2 years but now we make more than they alone can buy we no longer have the agreements, and becuase we simply get too many inquires from others who are taking it up, seeing the succcess of the property photo franchise chain, and some other having to compete with it.

Still just keeping up with orders, seems the more we make the more get bought and now nearing end of year 3 there seems to be no slow down.

I trade asRemote Vision Vehicles nowat www.rvv.com.au

We just got 2 new relllers of our gear in UK and USA, I am in the process of getting units to them so they have demonstrators.

Seems to still be early days for UK and USA with the property photo franchise chains like we have here in Australia and New Zealand, one has expaded in the USA and has a few states going so far.

I have no doubt it will take off as it has in Aus and NZ, UK and USA are far more densly populated and thus far more properties.

So that's the latest from me.

Cheers

Dave Brimage,RVV

Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:58 AM   #8

that set up is far far to expensive for normal fun users.

itll only be comercial ventures that itll apeal to.

i have given up with my pole in favour of kite photography as it offers 300 foot hights and not much investment and you can (as long as there is a breeze) do it anywhere, for me this means out on the moors where vehicals cannot get, but its not much use in cities or built up areas LOL

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:41 PM   #9
MPA

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
that set up is far far to expensive for normal fun users.

itll only be comercial ventures that itll apeal to.
It is a turnkey system for full time property photography businesses, specifically that.
If I get inquires from amatuer photographers or part timers, I advise them to look at part DIY gear they can put some time in to and get working enough to try out Pole photography..before investing in it. But at AU$14,000+ a complete rig, I don't get many part timers inquire.

I would be reluctant to sell to anyone that I was not sure would make a profit from owning one. And demand for what I make grows as fast as we do in that market alone so we are not looking for every last buyer we can find.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:56 PM   #10

Well, I am doing it.... intended for full time RE work, the here in the USA, the RE market is hurting and the Brokers dont have any money to enhance their listings. so, it is part-time for me and I really am enjoying it. Altho, I look forward to being able to make it all wireless downlink versus cable to laptop. I know I can do wireless easyly for the cam/pc, but the separate panhead is still on cable. www.Stikpixs.com.

Rick
HeavensView is offline   Reply With Quote