Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:08 PM   #1

Default SLR Remote Control

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 10:40 AM
Subject: Controlling Nikon SLR cameras thru a HarTalk interface

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is something you've ever thought about but do you know about the HarTALK interface to Nikon SLRs. You can find info about it here:
>
> http://www.cocoon-creations.com
>
> I presume your Digisnap device works thru a small microcontroller. I'm looking for an intervalometer to control a Nikon SLR, something along the lines of the Canon TC-80N3 (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/tc-80n3.shtml) and it would be relatively straightforward to interface any controller based timer/sequencer thru the HarTALK into the Nikon.
>
> Is this something you might be interested in constructing / designing ?
>

Our controllers were developed specifically for digital cameras, and work very well with the Nikon Coolpix cameras, but there is some potential for making it work with SLRs. Most SLRs (including Nikons) can be triggerred via a contact closure (10 pin interface for the Nikon). The HarTalk devices are nice in that they use optical isolation, and provide an adapter to the 10 pin connector, but frankly they probably aren't required for most work.

The DigiSnap 2500 has a contact closure output which could be used to trigger an SLR. To be honest, we've never actually done it, as we've never had access to a camera with the 10 pin interface to test it with, and the DigiSnap 2500 is rather expensive for that application. I've got a couple 10 pin cables here to try it someday though.

An obvious alternative is the Nikon MC-20(?) intervalometer. My guess is the Canon device could also be adapted to work too.

Hope that helps!

Mark Roberts
Harbortronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links