Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:43 PM   #11

Hi Sweetie.* I would also very much appreciate some guidance on creating a LANC remote, as I have never done something like this before.* We just set up a 10 VCR dub rack at work and I would like to create one remote from which I could distribute the signal to all 10 VCRs.* I would like to make a remote with PLAY, STOP, REWIND, RECORD, and EJECT.* Thank you!
MrPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:52 AM   #12

If you send me your code snippets on where you have problems, I will try to help. Hardware wise, since you are sending/receiving a serial stream to the camcorder, it must be quite accurate, so with the '27 PIC you should be using a crystal - 4mhz should work.
sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 5:08 AM   #13

MrPatch,

I'm currently using PIC micros, so to do this, you have to invest in some software (C compiler and/or assembler) and hardware (programmer to send program down to the PIC chip). Also you need to design and build a custom board or use one of the many available development boards available.

The LANC protocol involves quite a bit of timing issues and having an o-scope would really help in the debugging process. If you want to avoid all this, a company in Canada, ELM Electronics, sells a Serial to LANC converter ICwhich would make your project a bit easier. This chip takes RS232 serial commands from your PC and sends out the right LANC commands to the VCR. I picked up several of these and sent the serial commands from a PIC and it works quite well. According to the documentation, you can hook up a bunch to control multiple devices, but again, you will have to come up with a custom PC board or do a prototype using wirewrap or point-to-point soldering.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #14

Controlling digital cameras is much much tougher than controlling camcorders. There are not only different codes, but you have to "listen" to some additional bytes and respond accordingly.

Below are some codes, but you won't be able to use them until making proper hanshaking which involves periodical writing of different valuesto the third byte in LANC frame.

In normal (doing nothing :-)state the first two bytes sent to camera should be 1E00 (hex number) [first byte=1Eh, second one=00h] instead of 0000 for camcorders (however, it seems that you have to wait for about 40-50 empty LANC frames after power-up before starting "feeding" the signal 1E00 to still camera).

Wide = 1E96 (lower speed??), 1E9A (higher speed??)

Tele = 1E94 (lower speed??), 1E98 (higher speed??)

Shut off = 1E5E (instead of 185E for camcorders)

Pre-trigger = 1E52

Shoot = 1E5A (take picture :-)

I will soon give my program on the net, so you would able to see details. However, I have to repeat - controlling still camera is something completly differentfromcontrolling camcorder .

damir.vrancic@ijs.si

Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:51 AM   #15

Hello, I made a mistake and I openned a new topic....

Well, the question was that I can not send LANC commans to my Sony DSC-V1. I am using the ELM624 chip. I can send it configuration commans, and it works well. I tried to send the power off command to the camera and it does not work. I tried with the commands (from bohel web page): 105E, 185E, 205E, 285E and nothing happens. I tried with other commands but it was the same.

How can I check that the ELM chip is working properly? Does anybody knows the valid LANC command codes for the DSC-V1?

I hope someone can help...

Thanks

Alberto
Funes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:58 AM   #16

Hi Crunchy.

I am trying to control a Sony DSC-V1 and it is not as simple as it seems. I am using ELM624 RS232 to LANC interpreter, but I can not send commands to the camera. MaybeI am using the incorrect commands.

Please, let us know when you have your program on the web.

Alberto
Funes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 3:56 AM   #17

Crunchy,

Are you also using the ELM chip or a PIC? Also, why is it necessary to periodically send data back the camera? Finally, how did you discover the codes required for the different operations?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:01 AM   #18

Hi,

>Are you also using the ELM chip or a PIC? Also, why is it necessary to periodically send data back the camera? Finally, how did you discover the codes required for the different operations?

I am using ATMEGA8 (Atmel) chip. However, Alberto also succeeded to do the communication, so I'll post the link to the site where I left some parts of our conversation(where I explained the principle how to communicate with still cameras)and his C program (after I get his confirmation).

I'll post my program after it will be published in one proceedings (probably before the end of year 2005).

Crunchy
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:10 AM   #19

Hi everybody!

Here is the link to the page (about communication protocol):

http://www-e2.ijs.si/damir.vrancic/personal/trv900/cameras/

Damir
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:25 AM   #20

Sweetie? are you still around here?

After putting it off all summer I need to get going on building a new camera controller as I took my old setup apart. Ski season is here and I need to get my finger out and do some programming. Are you still able to help out?

Cheers
Paul
farker is offline   Reply With Quote