Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:04 AM   #1

I just made remote control for my sony dsc-v1 camera butI have problem with byte0 and byte1 comands. I dont know the lanc codes for this camera and their sequence. I found couple pages with lanc specification but they seem to be useful only with camcorders.

I hope someone can help me with this

I needLANC codes for sony dsc-V1 camera

Thankyou
midaczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:47 AM   #2

Could you provide a little more info on what you are trying to do? I've some info about the LANC commands on the net.
sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

I'm trying to build dsc-v1 time lapse controller with advanced functions. Whole controller works fine but the LANC comunication. I don't have any information about dsc-v1 commands and their sequence
Old Mar 22, 2005, 3:40 AM   #4

I've only worked with the camcorder command set (stop, play, rew, ff, etc) so can't help you here. Also, I've never come across any info about digital camera commands. There is a product call LANC Shepherd which apparently does use the appropriate commands.

I've used a LANC "sniffer" type chip from ELM Electronics (Canada) that you can get to find out the commands. You can using this chip, wire up a simple circuit that contains an RS-232 port. Pluging this into a PC will let you monitor the LANC commands as you operate the different controls on your camera. For there you can determine what commands you need to send. Also, using this chip (about $12), I was able control my camcorder via a PIC.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:13 AM   #5

thx

thats useful info
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:20 AM   #6

BTW, the LANC protocol is a serial interface running at 9600 baud. Monitoring the LANC line from the camera, you can probably see the commands. To actually control the camera, you have to write low-level software which synchronizes to the data and insert the proper commands in the bit stream at the correct time. Using a PIC chip you probably will need to go down to the assembler level. As mentioned, you can use the ELM chip along with PIC chip to accomplish what you want to do. The ELM chip takes care of the low level stuff. You just send it serial commands.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:03 AM   #7

I try to control my dsc-v1, too. I use a atmega controller to generate lanc signals, but it doesnt work. I found inforamtion about lanc on http://www.boehmel.de/lanc.htm . the measured signal are ok, but the camera didnt react to my codes. how do you generate the signals? Did your system work?

misterpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:13 AM   #8

Yes, I have been successful in building several LANC controllers. The first one is a simple unit that just has one switch and an LED and a wire with a LANC plug. This one has no batteryis powered by the +5v from the camera. Push & Hold the switch down and it powers on the Camcorder. Push it again and it starts recording (either in VCR or CAM mode). Push it again and it stops recording. Push & Hold and it powers down the recorder.

Thesecond version is used with a bullet camera and is powered by the bullet camera's 9.6v supply. This one operates in the same manner as above, but it also controlspower to the bullet camera. When command is sent to the camcorder to power up, 9.6vto the bullet camera is switched on and the oppsite when powering down. This way,you can have the camcorder/battery pack andLANC unit packed in a bag fora very long time and havethe bullet camera mounted externally and thewired remote unit mounted within your reach. I justgot back from Tahoe to get some snowboarding videos and it works great. The bullet camera mounted on the strap of the ski goggles and the remote switch velcroed to my ski-jacket's lapel.. sony camcorder and battery in fanny pack.

I'm not famiar with atmel. I used a 8 & 28 pin PIC chips to do this with a combination of "C" and assembler. The assembler was used because timing and synchronization is critical. You have to detect the start of each byte in the stream and also know which byte you are currently in. When the command bytes are flying by, at that point you haveto insert your desired command bytes into the stream. Also note that the output line thatis connected to the camcorder (LANC)must be held in a high state whenever you are not sendingcommands. The sense of this line is LOW-TRUE. One more detail - you have to send the command sequence at least 4 times in a row for the camera to recognize it.

Old May 22, 2005, 5:45 AM   #9

Hi sweetie,

It's very interesting what you write abt lanc controllers. I'd liketo build a lanc controller for my sony but I have no idea how to start. You mentioned that you build a simple controller with one switch and an LED. Could you please send me some more info abt that or detailes, drawings etc...?

Thanks a lot!
stiletto107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 7:12 AM   #10

Sweetie,

Just been working on the same exact project for when I go skiing. I have got a PIC 16F627 development board and I am trying to re-write some assembler code that I found around on the net but progress is slow.... Im a techie not a programmer !

Any chance of some more info / links to what you have done?

Cheers
Paul
farker is offline   Reply With Quote