Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:10 PM   #1

i too have got a pole what i can mount camera on, its pumped up by air and is an ex army areial mast

same prob for me as the rest.........how to take a shot

someone suggested pluging a slave unit into camera olympus c4040 and fireing a flash gun at it saying itll trigger camera??? is this true

stock remote is no where near good enough

so am stuck with a few crude ideas to try but would like to know anyones more professional input please
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:19 PM   #2

Get the cheapest RC controller you can find and a servo. You will need batteries for both. Towerhobbies.com is probably your best source if you don't go to a local hobby shop. You can get a car controller for $45 and a servo for $10. You might find something cheaper if you grub around the site.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towj21.html
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towm4500.html

You could probably buy a cheap RC car with a controller and use the batteries and servos from the car. You would have to make something for the servo to push against in any case. I've bought them on sale at Radio Shack for $30, and that would have everything you need with a little clever tinkering.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:02 AM   #3

thanks for the feedback

that was one option i was considering, i got a cheap remote control car for that purpose, gave about $15 for it in your money, im in england, i think i had better update my account to say that !!.

will look at the links u gave as info is allways allways handy, been putting this project off for too long and its time i really did get it to work
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:41 PM   #4

I've never torn one of those RC cars apart. I would think the steering servo would be strong enough to trip the shutter, but I don't know whether it is useable. You might want to take the controller for the car to a hobby shop and see if there isn't a servo that could be triggered by the control if you can't get the steering servo to work.

I do think RC is your best option. IR doesn't work very well in direct sunlight and the range is pretty limited.

The strobe would be a little complicated I think. You would need a remote flash sensor and your camera would require the necessary inputs to be remotely fired. It has a TTL connector for flash, but most work only from the camera to trigger the flash and not the other way round. You might check the manual to see if it is even possible to trigger the camera from one of the inputs. It should work fine in sunlight though if you aim the sensor down and maybe put something around it to block ambient light. You would need another camera or flash attachment to trigger the sensor though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

cheers for input slipe

talked it over with a mate of mine who is good at making stuff and we are gonna give it a go, he as worked out how to make the servo push the shutter so will post pics when done.

also got an old tripod what im thinking of hacking up for the legs to help support the mast.....it aint heavy i just think it may be better with legs

something to do on the drak winter nights