Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:42 AM   #21

tcbikenut wrote:
Quote:
Hello! I am new to this board and want to make a wireless remote you have drawn. My questions are: what size wire do I buy so I can use crimp conectors?What is the resistor near the LED? Is it required or part of the LED? Where can Iget a copy of the cleaned up drawing that has been mentioned?

Thanks for your help and a great web site!
Radio Shack or any electronic harware store should have the crimps. Just buy this size for the wire you are using. Pick a resistor thatbarely lights the LED you selectso as to reduce power consumption.
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:29 PM   #22

Thanks for the reply... that answered my question on the LED resistor. I went and baught as many parts the local Radio Shack had and now need to orderthe wireless remote.

The questions I still have about the wireless remotes are: Does it have to be a 4 channel or can I buy a2 Channel unit? And what about the 'momentary/ toggle/ latch' thing? That is it and what one do I want?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here is a link to Coldfusion's ebay list..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://cgi.ebay.com/4CH-RF-RC-Moment...QQcmdZViewItem

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can you recommend wich one I should buy?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again!
tcbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:31 PM   #23

tcbikenut wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply... that answered my question on the LED resistor. I went and baught as many parts the local Radio Shack had and now need to orderthe wireless remote.

The questions I still have about the wireless remotes are: Does it have to be a 4 channel or can I buy a2 Channel unit? And what about the 'momentary/ toggle/ latch' thing? That is it and what one do I want?
Quote:
YOU CAN BUY THE TWO CHANNEL REMOTE.THE LAST TIMEI LOOKED AT IT ALL THEY DID WAS TAKE OFF THE TWO EXTRA RELAYS. HAVE BEEN WORKING ON A DISIGN TO OPERATE THE ZOOM RING ON MYFZ30 AND WILL NEED THE OTHER TWO.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here is a link to Coldfusion's ebay list..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://cgi.ebay.com/4CH-RF-RC-Moment...QQcmdZViewItem

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Can you recommend wich one I should buy?
Quote:
THIS IS THE ONEI BOUGHT.
Quote:
LOOKS LIKE THEY CHANGED THE DESIGN. You must have the momentary one
Quote:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again!
In any case you want the relays to close momentary to focus then release the shuttrer. You want to push the transmitter for a very short time to focus and then release. Press the 'shutter release' and and then release. A latch is one that your press once to turn it on then press again to turn it off. I used a 12vdc transister battery and put it in a metal spice box. Could have put it in a metal 'band-aid' box too The relays have to be normally open and toclosed when the transmitter button is pushed and then open when the pransmitter button is released. There is a delay upon release but that is OK.

BEFORE YOU USE IT PLEASE TEST IT!!!!!!!!!

Stan
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:41 AM   #24

I know I have had a lot of questions on building one of these and I apreciate the help! I do have one more question though:

looking at the two drawings (complete unit with wireless remore and the other with just the two swithches) they seem to be a bit different. Is the wire number 3 and 4 from the 4-contact plug swithed in the two drawings? does it matter at all?

The wires in the plug ( from a cell phone ear piece) are tiny! Dooes 3 and 4 go tho what was the mic or speaker if anyone knows that one!

I just want to make sure I built it right from the start. I will have around $60.00 invested to build just one and only need another transmitter unit to build a second as I have extra resistors and leds, etc. I think I will order two wireless units and build two at a time to minimize the investment in each and sell the other one!

Thanks again for a great site!

Shane
tcbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:12 AM   #25

tcbikenut wrote:
Quote:
I know I have had a lot of questions on building one of these and I apreciate the help! I do have one more question though:

looking at the two drawings (complete unit with wireless remore and the other with just the two swithches) they seem to be a bit different. Is the wire number 3 and 4 from the 4-contact plug swithed in the two drawings? does it matter at all?
Quote:
There is no polarity so switching 3 and 4 doesn't matter
Quote:

The wires in the plug ( from a cell phone ear piece) are tiny! Dooes 3 and 4 go tho what was the mic or speaker if anyone knows that one!
Quote:
Yes very small. There are four wires. One to each contact. Just use wire to 3 and 4 now. Make sure by using multimeter on resistance setting.
Quote:
I just want to make sure I built it right from the start. I will have around $60.00 invested to build just one and only need another transmitter unit to build a second as I have extra resistors and leds, etc. I think I will order two wireless units and build two at a time to minimize the investment in each and sell the other one!
Quote:
Did you buy the hands free cell phone adapter from a dollar store for $1? Radio Shack is expensive for the adapter. Was 19.95 the last time I checked.
Quote:

Thanks again for a great site!

Shane
There must be 36 + 3 +2 = 41k between the 3 and 4 contacts on the plug with no button pushed. When pushing the focus button the 36k resistor is shorted out so you must have 3 + 2 or 5 k. With the shutter release button pressed there must be 2k ohms in the circuit.

Let me know how you like it.

Stan
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:42 AM   #26

Having owned an FZ10 since April of 2004 and known about the FZ30 pretty much since it came out, I messed up a couple weeks ago when someone on one of the other forums I frequent posted some pictures, and I got to talking about my camera, and the "new one," then decided to come to Steve's to take a look at it, since I hadn't read the full review yet.

And then I started frothing about the mouth... all foamy and stuff -- you know -- having been happy with all but a few of the aspects of the FZ10 (all of which have been FIXED in the FZ30, plus twice the Megapixels), I just couldn't contain myself for long, and last night, after about two weeks of researching, looking for best prices and whatnot, I came back to the Steve's Digicams review and clicked on Pricegrabber from here (I WANTED Steve to get HIS cut, since he's been so helpful since before I bought the FZ10, with these reviews)... Happily, for me, in the interim, the price at Beach Camera (where I got the FZ10, and very good service and delivery and had decided to buy from although they DIDN'T have the best price when I first looked two weeks ago) had dropped by $17 and now they WERE listed as "Best Buy!"

BUT TO MY POINT (I know you're all wondering where it is by now)... In the process of shopping for the FZ30 I also looked for what else I KNEW I'd need (a spare battery I wouldn't have to pay $69.95 for!), and what I'd want (I already got a 50X 1 GB SD card at Xmas time when prices were low, for the FZ10, looking to the future), which was the remote shutter release...

Didn't take me long to discover Panasonic quit making the remote, but I DID find two American web-retailers. One is charging $32.95 for an OFF-BRAND replacement remote, which I find ridiculous, so I won't list them... The other is PartsStore.com, which is asking $15.56 for an off-brand replacement, plus $7.45 shipping...

Then I looked again at eBay, because in my initial research I found a seller with a slightly used FZ30 who was frothy enough to just HAVE TO upgrade to DSLR (richer than ME), and was selling his whole FZ30 shebang, and that included not only the remote, but a 40-foot extension, so I looked through just before I started doing the search that lead me to this thread, and his listing is no longer up, but the one for that Phayee is, which is how I found this thread, since $4 shipping or not, I really DON'T like the idea of having to wait 2 weeks for shipping from Hong Kong with NO TRACKING OPTION... so I was trying to find SOMEONE in the U.S. that sells that extension... Anybody know anyone?

It's not a rush item for me. I probably won't even have the camera until the end of next week or the first part of the following week, since I opted for Beach's free shipping (although last time -- and this is part of why I give them a glowing review -- their "8-10-day free shipping" came in 4 days).

Oh, that spare battery, by the way, in case anyone's interested. I ordered that tonight for $17, plus $6.50 shipping, from a U.S. website It's made by Merkury Innovations... I'll let y'all know after both camera and spare battery arrive if that was a good bargain.

But MAN, if I could get that remote with the 40-foot extension, I could sit in my covered swing, sipping coffee, with the camera set up on the tripod at wide-angle, right in front of the bird feeder on my tripod and get some KILLER shots, huh?

Would ALSO have been nice if Panasonic had considered a wireless remote option, though. I bought a 3.3 Megapixel Olympus in 2000 (albeit that was a $1,000 camera THEN) and it came with a wireless remote (although I never used it). I dropped it and broke the lens mechanism in 2002 and decided it wasn't worth getting it fixed, the way prices were going down and megapixels were going up... was the C-3030, had only 3x zoom, but lots of features and took very clear pictures, but it was ALL plastic, except for the glass parts of the lens.

Live and learn and PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for being an "early adopter," I guess.

BTW, after 2 years of coming to Steve's to read the reviews, this is my first forum thread and post (just joined the forums so I could post to this one)... I have the feeling we may be talking more, however.

Happy Pixelating!

Jeff
JeffAHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:13 PM   #27

Hi guys,

Good thread, thanks!

I have more questions though:

In the coldfusion remote, there are two separate buttons (instead of one with half-way and all-the-way in). Let's say, button "A" is half-way and button "B" is all-the-way-in.

How does this work? Do you have to:

1.Push button "A" (half-way) which triggers the autofocus then HOLD it and press button "B" (which closes the shutter and takes the picture) or

2. Is it ok to push button "A" first to autofocus and release it, then press button "B" to take the picture?

Extra question: In scenario 2, if you push button "A" once then button "B" twice, does it take the second picture without re-doing the autofocus?

Extra-extra question: does anybody know what pins 1 and 2 are for? Like waking up the FZ20 while in sleep mode :-D (this problem can be avoided by configuring the power save to off, but would be nice to have)

Thanks!

networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:41 AM   #28

networker wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

1.Push button "A" (half-way) which triggers the auto focus then HOLD it and press button "B" (which closes the shutter and takes the picture) or

2. Is it OK to push button "A" first to auto focus and release it, then press button "B" to take the picture?

Extra question: In scenario 2, if you push button "A" once then button "B" twice, does it take the second picture without re-doing the auto focus?

Extra-extra question: does anybody know what pins 1 and 2 are for? Like waking up the FZ20 while in sleep mode :-D (this problem can be avoided by configuring the power save to off, but would be nice to have)

Thanks!

I made theFZ wireless remote about a year ago. The 'focus' button is pushed and then the 'shutter release'. The focus relay takes a fraction of a second to releaseso you have time to push to the shutter release. Ifthe shutter release button is pushed again, the camera will do its own thing: take a picture. I set the camera for multiple shots, either bracket or burst most of the time. For burst just keep the shutter release button pressed for the length of time desired. The camera will probable take a last picture after release of the shutter release due to relay lag.

I purchased a DPS 9000 battery so I could leave the camera on for extended time periods. With the DPS installed the auto-off is disabled. The camera off button must be used. If you use the DPS take out the internal battery or you will have two depleted batteries. The DPS lasts a whole day for me.

Pins 1 and 2 are a mystery. Wrote to Pana but no reply.

Stan

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:46 PM   #29

heres a pic of completed working model with the cover off to show wires

works fine with 9 volt battery, turn off power save function on the camera,as this does not wake up the camera for some reason,
got all the links from here

THANKS DON

Been using this for a couple of weeks now ,its awsome for taking baby pictures and pet pictures ect...

you can stand right beside the subject and click away to your hearts content. You dont have to point the remote like alot of infra red models ,just click and shoot.Check the wiring diagram below it applies to this photo,easy to build.

I got the 40 foot extension from the guy in hong kong listed in previos messages and the remote and reciever from ebay link in privous message. Hong kong guy only took a week to ship to Canada.I then just cut the end of and left a couple feet with the factory pin end on, that way you dont have to solder anything.

Build it you will like it and youll be in more of your own picture to !

Attached Images

electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 5:56 PM   #30

I made this about a year ago.. Placed the assembly into a spice box from my wife's kitchen. Has a sliding on/off switch with a LED for power on indication. I Velcro it to the tripod.

StanStan
Attached Images