Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Remote Control

Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:46 PM   #1

Hi there. Does anyone know where I can get a wireless remote shutter release for this camera? Thanks, O
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:57 AM   #2

I made one about a year ago.

You'll need a soldering iron, a mulltimeter and a few resistors and various parts.

Stan
Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:03 AM   #3

oberjager wrote:
Quote:
Hi there. Does anyone know where I can get a wireless remote shutter release for this camera? Thanks, O
If you want to build please repost and I will provide details.

If you search for 'wireless' on the forums there are a few threads and other solutions.

I know of no third party wireless remotes.

Stan

Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:16 PM   #4

Okayyyyyyy . . . thanks for the information, but that is way out of my league and way over my head. I have no understanding of the information that you shared. I really need something to plug in and just press the buttons.

Again, thank you for your great help even though i have limited understanding.

best wishes, O
oberjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:23 PM   #5

I have built both remotes ,wired and radio , with the help of your designs

Excellent and many thanks

Neither are able to WAKE the camera from the sleep mode

Is this the NORM or my wiring ??

Is it possible to overcome this ??

Again Many Thanks

slhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:45 PM   #6

slhawks wrote:
Quote:
I have built both remotes ,wired and radio , with the help of your designs

Excellent and many thanks

Neither are able to WAKE the camera from the sleep mode

Is this the NORM or my wiring ??

Is it possible to overcome this ??

Again Many Thanks
Just received my FZ30 a few days ago and tried to wake the '30 from the sleep mode and was unable with the remotes.Was unnecessary [useless] with the FZ20 since the lens retracted when turned off. I use an external battery to keep the '20 alive.If this iscannot be overcome with the current remotes, I plan to use a small solenoid to press theshutter button with the third channel of my wireless. I will connect the solenoid to the third relay probably with some surge protection. This is the only way I can think of right now. If anyone knows of a small solenoid please let know!

In the meantime I shall keeping on usingthe DPS9000 to keep the '30 alive.

I just now focused the '30 and turned it off and then back on and it appears the lens keeps it's position so it is still focused. For the '20 to keep position it had to remain powered up. Interesting.

Stan

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:45 AM   #7

Stan, If you have full details of the wireless project, I would like to try to build one, my FZ30 will be arriving for my Birthday in April and I would like to build it ready for then.
HappyPiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:34 AM   #8

HappyPiskey:

There are different versions of the wireless shutter release on thevarious forums. I am perfectly happy with mine. I posted my schematic a few times and somebody posted a cleaned up version of my hand sketch. I will try and search for it. If not I will again post by crude hand sketch I used. The design is very straight forward no tricks. I know of nine that made one.

It is quite simple to build: You MUST have a [cheap] multimeter for final test. Mine was about $6 USD. Look for a hands free cell phone adapter with a4 conductor plug. Make sure it is 4 conductor. I found a fewin the local Dollar store. I.E. $1.00 A local Radio shack is OK for getting parts.The transceiver I used was EBAYed: 4 CH RF RC Radio Wireless Remote Control for $18.50 at Coldfusion. You need a 9VDC transistor battery to power the receiver. Three resistors, wire, switch, LED, box 9VDC connector and some patience. You made solder the connections or use crimping connectors [solderless] matched to the size wire you use..

Just just noticed I have already posted the sketch in this thread. You need two miniture low profile normally open push switches. One is used to 'focus' by shorting out the 39k resistors and the 'shutter release' switch shorts out the 39K and 3K resistor together leaving the 2k resistor in the circuit at all times. When finished check the resistance from contact three to four. 39+ 3 + 2 = 44k with no buttons pushed. With the focus button pushed 3 +2 = 5K With release button pushed only 2K in circuit. The value of the resistors are not critical. Use the smallest resistors you can buy. I happened to use 1/8 watt ones. I used a spice can from my wife to house the receiver. Takes an evening to build and TEST!

Happy assembly

Stan

HappyPiskey wrote:

Quote:
Stan, If you have full details of the wireless project, I would like to try to build one, my FZ30 will be arriving for my Birthday in April and I would like to build it ready for then.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 8:58 PM   #9

That's very interesting. What do you use your remotes for, if I may ask?
mspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:07 PM   #10

mspivey wrote:
Quote:
That's very interesting. What do you use your remotes for, if I may ask?
I like to take pictures of birds. I set up the camera near the nest or feeder where my presence would distract or prevent the the birds from perching. Now with the use of a wireless control, I can set the camera near the subject and fire away from some distance away or even inside my home looking out the window. I can focus and release the shutter from some 200 feet away: less if thru walls or windows.

Just extends the application of the camera.

Stan