Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question.

Why the need to resize a photo for printing, when using a "Scaled Print Size" in Photoshop appears to have the same effect?

Thanks for any help on this.

John
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2

The scaled print size doesn't seem to resample the image. People tend to have different PPI below which they resample to a higher resolution. Some people always resample to 300 PPI, which I think is a bad idea without other criteria involved.

A low resolution print can look grainy and a resample can make it look better. A resample won't improve the detail but it can make the print look a little smoother.

If you are starting with plenty of pixels and the right ratio the scaled print size is probably a good option. Except for a 4 X 6 print from a camera that shoots 3:2 you have to crop for most print sizes. I find it easier to just do everything in the crop tool. You can set your image size and even alter the resolution in the crop dialog.

I never alter the resolution with the crop tool. I have a couple of good resample plug-ins that do a better job.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:51 PM   #3

Thanks for that, Slipe.

I have always been content with my prints, but reading aPhotoshop bookover the holiday made me wonder if I was missing a trick. I must admit it hadn't occured to me to wonder what was happening to any pixels that couldn't be crammed into the smaller size - a lagacy of my darkroom days, I guess!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 10:20 PM   #4

How do you print your images, at home or through a service? There's no real reason to start thinking about re-sizing no matter thesource of printinguntil you get to bigger prints (above 8.5x11, or A4). If you use a printing service, you need to know what it does when you print big. Take a look at this...

http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

As you'll see when reading this link, the pro lab Smugmug uses resamples bigger prints, and chances are, they will do itmore efficiently/better than you can. I would bet many,if notmost labs use the same process. You can almost be assuredafterwards there is also a re-sharpening of the file after the interpolation by the lab. This is why many peoplesubmit files for biggerprinting at a lab with little to no priorsharpening done.

Here's another link about re-sizing and why 300PPI is not the correct size to be thinking about once you get to bigger sized prints. Read what Shay Stephens says...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=177

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:31 PM   #5

Thanks Greg,

Sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge your answer.

Almost all my printing is done at home on a Canon Inkjet, and no bigger than A4 size. As I said, I have always been happy with the prints, and it seems there is no real reason to change my ways.

Many thanks again, John.