Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Resizing Pictures in Photoshop

I have a CoolPix 775 2.1MP camera. I take the picture and get it into Photoshop. I use highest settings in both compression and pixel count, and the picture comes out 1600x1200 which ends up being about 21"x16" on the scales. I want to print out the picture say 5"x7". The only way I see to do this is adjust the pixel count to a smaller number. Isn't this degrading the detail that I have in the picture? I am curious if there is a way to print it at say 25% and keep all of my pixels. Does this make any sense? Thanks for helping a newbie.
PeterGibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2002, 1:29 PM   #2

When you get to the pop-up for resizing the image, make sure the resample box is not checked. Then when you change the linear dimmension, the pixel "dimmensions" will stay the same while the pixels/inch change.

You are right: decreasing the number of pixels will degrade the image detail.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:12 AM   #3

Thanks a million. Worked liked a charm. I knew there was something I was missing.

PG
PeterGibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:14 PM   #4

Forgive any mistakes I make here......first time posting....

How would this type of resizing be done in PSP? I am using that program and am having a devil of time trying to figure out this resizing thing!

Is there some sort of a guideline one should use? I am also using a 2 mp camera. I want to understand the correct procedures for taking this size graphic/superfine compression and changing the dimesions to lets say 4x6/5x7 sizes for printing.

one confused person!
Reeana
photo_graphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:09 AM   #5

Reeana,

For PSP, use fotocrop Go here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...377&highlight=

Hope this helps...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the link!! Great utility.....

R
photo_graphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:31 PM   #7

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
When you get to the pop-up for resizing the image, make sure the resample box is not checked. Then when you change the linear dimmension, the pixel "dimmensions" will stay the same while the pixels/inch change.

You are right: decreasing the number of pixels will degrade the image detail.
Bill why is it in the document box when I change my size to a 5x7 the width will change. I have the resample image unchecked. How would I get the photo to stay the size I want.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:14 AM   #8

I think what you are seeing is that the originaldoes not have the same ratio of width to height as a 7x% print. You have two choices either accept a size that fits the print size and accept some white edges on the print or crop to fit.

In order to crop to fit you should first resize as described choosing a size where 1 side is an exact fit and the other is slightly to large say for example 7x5.5 you can then use the crop tool and specifify a crop size of 7x5 this gives you a crop box of the correct ratio that you can use to select the area of the picture that you want on the print.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote