Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Oct 6, 2004, 5:52 PM   #11

Morilibus wrote:
Quote:
croping pictures to a 4X6 ratio for easy printing.
It horrifies me that folk want to do this (convert 4:3=1.33 to 6:4=1.5) on a batch basis without reference to the content of the image.

If I were ever to do this (unlikely) without looking at the image (which I have already carefully framed in the viewfinder), I'd stick black tape on the LCD monitor so what I got was what I shot.

Can't you find a printer who'll print the whole frame, nice & cheap? There are plenty here in the UK.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:36 AM   #12

I take a lot of sport photographs at a single event and want a very quick print out of what I have taken. From these I can select or have the people I have taken the photos for select the ones they would like worked on and printed in better quality.

The most convenient way I have found to do this is to take the photos to a 1 hour process lab and get 6x4" developed. Hence I want the photos batch processed to 6x4"

But I don't want to crop any information automatically (I sometimes selectively manually crop). I would like to add a border with copyright text such that the resultant image is 6x4 at 300 dpi and created an action in PS to do this. Problem is, PS does not distinguish between portrait and landscape and so the action does not work for both.

What I look for is a program that will determine the correct orientation of my photos by checking the vertical to horizontal pixel ratio, then add a black or white border such that the resultant image will be 1:1.5 or any other ratio ofmy choice, 10"x8" for example. The ability to add text into the border would be a bonus.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Paddythebluegiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:43 PM   #13

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Morilibus wrote:
Quote:
croping pictures to a 4X6 ratio for easy printing.
It horrifies me that folk want to do this (convert 4:3=1.33 to 6:4=1.5) on a batch basis without reference to the content of the image.

If I were ever to do this (unlikely) without looking at the image (which I have already carefully framed in the viewfinder), I'd stick black tape on the LCD monitor so what I got was what I shot.

Can't you find a printer who'll print the whole frame, nice & cheap? There are plenty here in the UK.
In the US, printing at home inexpensively is possible but you have to jump through some hoops. Costco and Sams club, brick and mortar stores, do it for $.16/piece matte 4x6. Very hard to beat through home printing unless you do your own refills. Online prices, I heard, go as low as $.12 for a 4x6. So hence the need for the 4x6 crop.
Can't they develop a program (for these retailers of photofinishing) or plugin that alerts you that your picture will be chopped off and then allow you to crop it yourself?!!! Is that too much to ask? I hate it when I get photos back where things are missing.
istok is offline   Reply With Quote