Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jul 26, 2002, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Picture Cropping (4X6)

Hello,

New to this forum, just trying to see if someone knows of a program that makes croping pictures to a 4X6 ratio for easy printing. The digital camera we have takes pictures at 1024X768, it can do higher but that's what we usually take the pictures at so we can fit more pictures on the memory stick.

Lots of times I end up editing the pictures and crop out most of the background. So I'm looking for a way to easily crop out 4X6 equivalent portions out of an image so that they can easily be printed up and put into a photo album.

Not sure if that makes sense, if not let me know and I'll try to rephrase it.

In short, looking for a program that makes croping easy while maintaining the 4X6 Ratio.

Thx
Morilibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2002, 4:50 AM   #2

Try jpegcrop from http://jpegclub.org/
its easy to use.
TBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 9:30 AM   #3

I'm still searching for that perfect crop program. So, you have 100 cam files moved from flash and want to crop them for 6 X 4 ouput on CD and take to Walmart for printing. The program needs a preset crop size (preferably in pixels) which is remembered, goes to a directory of pics, runs in batch mode BUT only opens 1 pic at a time (otherwise pc memory is blown), does the crop and saves with exif data intact to a new directory preserving the original. Most editors I've tried open all the files before processing causing memory probs, or don't include crop as a batch mode command, or trash exif data. So is that ideal editor out there?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 3:22 PM   #4

Seems like Paint Shop Pro's batch processing could handle this (although I've never done it).
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 12:02 AM   #5

Good old irfanview will do exactly what you want.

http://www.irfanview.com/

From the file menu do a batch command
go to advanced and set the cropping

It remembers settings between sessions...

Remember cropping does throw away stuff so you may end up with cut off feet or heads if you pick the wrong crop
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 1:28 AM   #6

Haven't tried the latest IrfanView 3.91. Does it crop lossless for the JPEG format? Most pictures are in JPEG format, so there is no point in using a program that does not crop lossless (for JPEG). The point is that the default compression for saving the decompressed/cropped image is often below the compression setting used when the image was composed. This results in quality degration for the image which is often visible when printed. Using a very high quality setting for JPEG on the other side often results in a very large file size which is also not optimal, so lossless cropping really is the choice.

http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.htmlfrom the "lossless" inventor Guido Vollbeding has an overview of the lossless apps. Irfanview is not listed there with the lossless cropping.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 8:23 AM   #7

Lossless is nice but for the use requested it does not really matter.

I would just save as a 100% JPEG or if you are really anal about it lossless tiff.

Print it and then delete the 4x6 crops. The one to keep in an archiveisthe original.

Even an uncompressed version of pictures this size are going to be around 1.8 MB and the 100% JPEGs will be about 800K (not exactly disk busting).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:31 PM   #8
Administrator

Jurgen Eidt wrote:
Quote:
Haven't tried the latest IrfanView 3.91. Does it crop lossless for the JPEG format? Most pictures are in JPEG format, so there is no point in using a program that does not crop lossless (for JPEG). The point is that the default compression for saving the decompressed/cropped image is often below the compression setting used when the image was composed. This results in quality degration for the image which is often visible when printed. Using a very high quality setting for JPEG on the other side often results in a very large file size which is also not optimal, so lossless cropping really is the choice.

http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.htmlfrom the "lossless" inventor Guido Vollbeding has an overview of the lossless apps. Irfanview is not listed there with the lossless cropping.
The list in your link, is for applications that support lossless JPEG rotation (not lossless cropping). Irfanview is number 5 in the list.

In any event, you always risk degradation of an image, anytime you resave in JPEG format -- regardless of what you did (or did not do) to the image. However, as you and others have pointed out, you can specify a higher quality compression setting when saving. Most image editors have this capability (including IrfanView). You can specifiy JPEG Compression Quality when you use the "save as" menu option.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:02 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The list in your link, is for applications that support lossless JPEG rotation (not lossless cropping). Irfanview is number 5 in the list.
Yes, all apps using the lossless rotate are listed on http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.htmlin the first place. But some apps also provide additional "lossless" features which are often added to the description. Number 2 for example.

I still think its very convenient to use lossless cropping for JPEGs. No need to worry about the quality settings. The only drawback is the start of the upper left corner, which must fall on the 8x8/16x8/8x16 or 16x16 grid.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:08 PM   #10

www.betterjpeg.com - this one is capable of batch lossless JPEG crop to specified ratio / dimensions as well as other lossless JPEG operations (datestamp, red-eye removal, etc.)
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote