Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Nov 11, 2003, 6:22 PM   #21

I have some actions set up in Photoshop for doing Fred Miranda’s simple stair interpolation or SI. This is a shot that is a crop of only about 5% of a 5Mp image so the result could be posted full size. As you can see they are upsampled about 6X. The one on the left is a single Photoshop bicubic and the right one SI with bicubic. http://www.fredmiranda.com/SI/ I don’t know how Fred’s action compares to simple SI but it is highly thought of.

Actually that isn’t full size – it would still be a little large to post. This is full size if you want to compare: http://www.pbase.com/image/2810762/original
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:57 AM   #22

I was just about to ask about doing Bicubic in steps and if people were trying that, or just using bicubic in one big jump. Then slipe comes along and demonstrates it for me!

I've heard that doing it in 5% to 10% bumps each time can produce good results. Is that how others were doing it when comparing with the other techniques?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:14 AM   #23

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between using digital zoom in the camera and using interpolation in software to get closer to a subject?. Just imagine a bird at the bottom of my garden and i only have a3x zoom and can't get close enough, would the best idea be to use digital zoom which people don't seem to like using or to blow up the shot with software ?. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.:-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:52 AM   #24

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
difference between using digital zoom in the camera and using interpolation in software to get closer to a subject?.
Digital zoom is, generally speaking, one of the many useless features that we have to pay for on our digicams. Every shot is taken at the full resolution of the CCD, unless you've deliberately turned it down (e.g., to get more images on the memory card). When you digitally zoom, you're just cropping the picture exactly as you would on your home PC later.

The two circumstances in which you might want to use the digital zoom are...

1. You don't own or have current access to a computer and you're going to give the memory card directly to a processor for printing;

2. You're on holiday in a remote location, running out of image storage space,and trying to conserve as much space as possible on your memory card, and you're therefore using 'economy' compression when you can, or even turning the resolution down to give a smaller image file, in order to leave room for all the little masterpieces that are just round the corner, perhaps, you hope.

So the answer to the bird at the bottom of your garden is that it makes no difference at all, provided you get the exposure and focus right. I have a fine collection of distant, out-of-focus cockerel pheasants. [Oh, good grief, I find I'm not allowed to say "c***"! How do ornithologists cope?]

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:19 AM   #25

Thanks Alan, i sort of got the idea that digital zoom and interpoltion were the same thing. I did have a go at one of my photos a while ago as i only have a 2MP camera. It was a photo of my son and i blew it up a few times in 5% steps and it didn't look too bad. Whether it would look OK in print is something i'm not sure about. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote