Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jun 15, 2002, 6:55 AM   #1

Default Resize up to 1200% with no loss of quality?

Has anybody seen the ad for VFZ (Celartem Technology)?
They claim that you can enlarge a digital image up to 1200% with "no loss of image quality" by, it seems, converting the image to a vector file. They also claim some powerful compression and downsizing capabilities.

Looks interesting. I will visit their website and take a look, report back later.

http://www.celartem.com

[Edited on 6-15-2002 by WalterK]

WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2002, 8:07 AM   #2

Default I tried the trial version of VFZoom

I downloaded the VFZoom 2.2 trial version and the manual. I am not sure if I have used it right, but I took a crop from one of my image files, opened it in VFZ, saved it as a VFZ file.
I then reopened it and resized it to 300% and saved it as a TIFF file. I then opened it and the original crop in Photoshop and viewed the original at 300% and the VFZ'd file at 100%.

Both were equally sharp, but the VFZ'd file had color shifts and artifacts. I will continue experimenting, but I think it's worth downloading the trial version.

If you try it, please post a response and let me know if you got it to work.
Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:18 AM   #3

Default Tried it again

I followed the instructions closely this time. I opened an image at the highest quality, enlarged it to 1000% and saved it as a TIFF at that size. I opened the original in Photoshop and resampled to the same pixel size and resolution using Bicubic Interpolation, and got what seems to me to be an identical image, with no improvement over the Bicubic.

If you try the program and get better results, please post them.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 4:08 AM   #4

Interesting......I am downloading now and will try it out later. Thanks for sharing the link. I will post the results when I get a chance.
Rayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2002, 7:08 PM   #5

I have often wondered whether converting an image to a vector file and back again would be an effective way of removing noise.

Thank you,
Philby
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 6:48 AM   #6

Hi
Thanks for the tip.
Donīt know the price or how to buy...
Did try it and think that for resizing over 400% really has advantage over Photoshop bicubic and is really fast after taking that extra time at loading. Resizing it at less than 400% I am under the impression the images get a little blurred vs Photoshop.
What do You think ?
Bye
Francisco
Francisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2002, 4:59 PM   #7

Default VFZoom

Francisco,

I don't see any improvement using VFZoom compared to Photoshop's Bicubic interpolation. I use Genuine Fractals, which to me and many others, appears much sharper than Bicubic, and probably also sharper than VFZoom. Download a trial version and try it out for yourself.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 5:35 AM   #8

Hi Walter

In the past 2 days have done really lots of tests with resizing lots of good lighting photos and some do appear to have a slight difference but the majority look the same or the vfzoom ones look a little blurred.
As to the Genuine Fractals I have seen some photos , but canīt download trial software from their website. All links seem to go for the purchase screen.
Would really like to give it a try.
Thanks
Francisco
Old Jun 20, 2002, 7:05 AM   #9

Hi
Still related to the theme of resizing and to all that donīt have a Fuji camera I ask an opinion.
The next photos were taken with a Fuji 6900Z in the 2048 Fine setting ( first left); in the 2832 Fine Setting ( down left ); 2048 fine setting resized by Lanzcos algorithm to 2832 ( up right) and 2048 fine setting resized bicubic in Photoshop ( down right ).
What do You think?
In the beginning I used the camera in 2832 mode ( 6 MP ) but I then noticed the increased noise in the photos, now I use 2048 ( 3 MP ) fine setting as standard cause the EXTRA pixels are just like resizing to me.
Thanks
Francisco
Old Jun 20, 2002, 5:11 PM   #10

Default Resizing

Sorry, Francisco, but I can't get your link to work.