Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:01 PM   #1

Hi there big question, needing help! It's driving me nuts!! I take pics and do fancy things to them and then try printing them out and get way to much cropping of my work!! I open another file in Photoshop and make that the size print i want(ie 5x7) and then i scale the pic to fit. Everything looks fine by the file. But now when i print it at a 5x7, my border work is chopped off:-( Is there something in the printer setup besidess telling the size output that i'm missing to get everything i want to print?? This is my first time printing things with either borders or lettering and it's upsetting me this is happening(especially when some have taken me hours to create). Thanks a bunch...
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:49 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't use PS. But, you must have an image that is at the correct aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) for the size you are printing at. So, you must typically crop the image to fit (and each print size will have a different aspect ratio).

In other words, you'll need to crop (trim off part of the photo) forthe correct aspect ratio, before you apply your borders. I don't use PS, but it looks like the Marquee tool (specifying a fixed aspect ratio) is the desired crop tool:

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/crop/2/

With editors that don't have a cropping tool that allows you to specify the correct aspect ratio, you can compute it manually. For example, your Digital Rebel produces a largest image size of 3072 x 2048 pixels. This image has an aspect ratio of 3:2. This is perfect for 4x6" prints, but not for other sizes.

For a 5x7" print, you'd need to trim part of it off.Since 7 inches divided by 5 inches = 1.4, you'd need to multiply2048 (the short side of yourimage) x 1.4 to get the length needed forthe other side, and 2048 x 1.4 = 2867.

So, if you cropped a full size image from your Digital Rebel for the correct aspect ratio needed for a 5x7" print, you'd end up with an image size of 2867 x 2048 pixels (you are trimming off part of the long portion so it will have the correct ratio of width to height to match the print size).

So, you can use the built in tools, specifying a fixed aspect ratio and crop (easier). Or, do the math yourself and crop. Either way, you'll need an image with the correct ratio of width to height for the desired print size to prevent part of it from being trimmed off when printingand/or undesired white space onsides --depending on the printing software used.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:57 AM   #3

Thank-you for the help!!
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote