Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:14 PM   #1

id like to know how to Resize many photos at once.

Maybe some software that i can select the photos and then it will shrinmk them so it can be used for the web.

5mp pictures are just to much to host but i still want to keep them for quality
Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2

Vinny77 wrote:
Quote:
id like to know how to Resize many photos at once.
Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com is free and excellent, as is xnview from http://www.xnview.com.

You can also do things such as (a) choose the level of jpeg compression to give a satisfactory file size for your users, and (b) add a little sharpening, allat the same time to improve web quality.

Good luck!,

Alan T

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:35 PM   #3

You need a program that does batch processing.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:58 PM   #4

Yo Alan T, or anyone else. I down loaded the infranview program yesterdayand when I went to downsize some pics, which were all jpeg files, the program converted them into BMP files, which are way to large for simple e-mails. They were reduced in sizeon the monitor.What I do wrong?. How do I reduce the size, but still keep them as jpeg files?

Yeah..., I`m a "newbie" to the digital image world after decades with 35mm.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:20 AM   #5
Administrator

You'll see a field for the file type. That's strange (that you got .bmp files). I thought it defaulted to JPEG.

Anyway, you can either convert one image at a time (under Image, Resize/Resample), or you can convert multiple photos using Batch Mode. To use Batch Mode, go to "File, Thumbnails" and select a folder. Then, use the "File, Start Batch Dialog with Selected Thumbnails" menu choice. You can add more photos to the ones you want to process then.

Make sure to select a different output directory so that you don't overwrite the originals (especially since you don't want to ruin them if you make a mistake). Also, make sure to select the "Options" button by your file format you're saving in (which i THOUGHT always defaulted to JPEG), so that you can select the desired JPEG Quality.

Then, select the "Advanced" button and you'll have lot of options (including resizing, converting to grayscale, etc.).

Here is a screen capture... Note the Output format field towards the bottom. If JPEG is selected, you can also control the JPEG Quality (I clicked on it so you can see the box that comes up), as well as whether or not you want to retain the EXIF, etc. Lower Quality = Smaller Filesize

If you're not using batch mode (converting one file at a time instead), when you use the save aschoice under the file menu, you can set the file type and options there.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:42 AM   #6

JimC, you rawk!!! Thanks so much for your post!!! It`s time for me to get to work on resizing the pics, and keeping them as JPEG files! :G
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:01 PM   #7

I use PhotoFiltre http://www.photofiltre.com/ (free) which is like PS but without the levels function and a few nice plugins too.
r0nn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:15 PM   #8

Imagemagick is a command-line tool allowing to perform many different operations with images

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

since you can run it from command line you can write a script to do batch processing. For example I wrote a script to pad images to desired resolution and put a date label (besed on exif) on the added white space.
Attached Images

fedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:44 AM   #9

I am interseted in how you achieved this:

What I look for is a program that will determine the correct orientation of my photos by checking the vertical to horizontal pixel ratio, then add a black or white border such that the resultant image will be 1:1.5 or any other ratio of my choice, 10"x8" for example. The ability to add text into the border would be a bonus. I don't want to re-sample, just change the canvas size to get the correct ratio with max photo info.

Does the batch routine take account of the original ratio and orientation ? sometimes after selective cropping I have an image which is 1:1.1 ratio.

Paddythebluegiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 2:49 PM   #10

I'm batch resizing to show wide pics on my new plasma TV that comes with a card reader.

Be aware that some batch resizers (my version of PS and PS pro does this) strip or modify each files EXIF header making it unreadable. A bit like the problem of editing a pic and putting back in your camera to show on a TV when the camera throws it out as an 'invalid format'.

IRFANVIEW does batch resizing and does not strip or modify the data (unless you want to change it) and I thoroughly recommend it. It was the last prog I tried, when it should have been the first!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote