Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:47 PM   #1

I was here about a month ago and there was mention of a image resizing software that could increase up to 300x or somthing of that nature

what is the software
Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:23 AM   #2

Are you sure its not "300dpi" for larger print sizes you saw?

Imagine ifyou resize a thumbnail of 120x160 300x you will end upin the Gigapixel range (36000x48000). The image quality will be of course unacceptable whatever method you choose unless you intend to print and pin this thing on a flat surface and view the image from a plane .
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:26 AM   #3

I don't know wich software was mentioned. I know PhotoResampling it's a very nice product to upsize photos. You can download a demo at www.photoresampling.com
jbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:57 PM   #4

Paint Shop has a nice image resize function or.... you can upsize it in word
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

Yeah, ALOT help !!(in RIGHT hand)
especially good implementations of LancosZ3 (B-Spline and Mitchell / Kaiser and etc - not for common material) Algorythm's.
For Example - XnViewer/Nconverter - Free/Fast/Multiplatform tool, that can use free and bought ps extensions.
Try it :-)

and if you asks about CONSTANTLY upscaling by huge coeff - try Genuee Fractals, product of LuraWave, that bought it with maker - Iterated Systems and belong IP's)
or even some of JPEG2000 implementations(free - BETTER !!(both in terms of speed AND quality)). mostly - based on Kakadoo library. i prefer Gimp engine, because manageabulity and Adobe for same reason, but 4 free 4 win i recommend Fnord plugin(forgot realname autor-programmer :-/) - quite fast and accurate.

[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img][img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
SkyShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6

http://www.imresize.com

can do that with high quality

albert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7

"compromise between bicubic and something ..." definitely not have enough resulting quality. even bicubic itself - obsolete for years.
but if someone found usual program[there at least 2 commercial and 4 free] - prepare for challenge you PC.
for example [x2 up]resizing of one 12kx8k image with Kaiser 64Tx4 recuires 2hrs on 3.0 Ghz dual-core CPU.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:52 PM   #8

Stoik claims 1000% reizing with "Smart Resizer". A 15 day trial is free, the key costs $40 US. Sounds interesting, I may give it a try.

So much software around, hard to find time to try it out, and leave time for taking photos.

Phil
PWhite214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 1:02 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyShoot2 View Post
...for example [x2 up]resizing of one 12kx8k image with Kaiser 64Tx4 recuires 2hrs on 3.0 Ghz dual-core CPU.
That sounds sort of like the restoration algorithm being used in some of the nicer Linux applications like digiKam (which is what I tend to use for most image processing anymore). It's extremely flexible for resizing, taking noise removal and more into consideration.

BTW, here's a good article on interpolation by Mike Chaney:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/oct_2008.html

If you use Mike's QImage products, you can do a pretty nice job at resizing images (since it even takes printer drivers into consideration to determine the best settings to use).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote