Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

Hi! First time poster here and I can't get an answer to this anywhere...esp from Canon who says it can't be done..which I'm sure it can. I have a Picturemate Printer and a Canon Power Shot 85.The Picturemate tends to enlarge a picture a little when printing which will lead to a little cropping (esp at the top). The workaround someone posted is to add a 15 pixel border to the picture before you print it. OK, I do that with Paintshop Pro 8 and when I try to transfer it back to the Camera it says on the picture I added the border to :"Incompatible JPEG format" Why?? I know I could probably print directly from the computer, but the Picturemate is a standalone printer and I want to be able to transfer the edited picture back to the camera. The camera uses a Compact Flash card and I am using a sandisk reader/writer to transfer back and forth. Please, how can I get the Camera to read this picture so I can then take the card, put it in the Picturemate, and print the picture I want.One other thing, the camera reads in a 1: 1.33 ration, if that means anything. Thanks and any input greatly appreciated as I have tried for 3 days now with no luck.:|

jaycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:37 AM   #2

Jaycook,

This is pure speculation, but since you haven't received any other responses I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

My guess is that the camera is hard coded to handle only the image resolutions available for taking photos. That is, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 1024x768, or whatever your camera is capable of taking. If youadd a border you are giving the cameraan image dimensionit doesn't know how to process.

Therefore, I think if you scale the image back to the proper pixel dimensions the camerashould be able to process the image. I see two options here 1)add your border and scale the entire image image back down to the proper size, or 2) scale the image down and addhowever many pixels you need at the bordersto get the image back to its original size. You're doing exactly the same thing in both, but personally, I thinkthe second approach would be easier for my brain to handle.

If the image is still incompatible, you may have to try various compression settings to find one that matches the settings on the camera. Cameras tend to have only a few compression settings;for example, super fine, fine, and normal. Your editing software probably has a wide range of options for the compression settings. Just as the camera can handle only a certain number of resolutions, if the compression settings of theimage you send back to the camera doesn't matchwhat the camerais able to process, I don't think the camera will be able to decompress the image.

Good Luck

DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the replay....I'll check into your options....:|
jaycook is offline   Reply With Quote