Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:44 PM   #1

Default what I'm I doing wrong? grainy printing

I'm trying to print out my wedding pictures on to a 5*7 with my Epson stylus 780 on photo paper.
The images were scanned in to a size of 3564w*5589 RGB from negatives.
When I open one of these pictures in photo shop to 100% it looks extreamly grainy but at about 12% it looks great. When I try to print it using Photo S,Qimage and WIN XP and use the Epson preview it shows it as being very grainy.
I have tried Jpeg repair but it only helps a bit.
The Epson is showwing me exactly what is going to print out and its all grain so theres no point in me to even try to print it out. :roll:

Thanks

Marcel
Marcelsaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:01 AM   #2

It seems to me that you scanning could have been better. The smaller you make a photo the sharper it will look on the screen.

Why not checking if you have set the printer to the right paper and colormode. Thats extremely important.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:57 PM   #3

Default comments

If the image is grainy at 100% on photoshop it wont print any better. You need to look at the negatives under magnification to see if the source is grainy. If not have them rescanned.

If they are grainy you should have them scanned by a company that has a Nikon 4000 Coolscan with digital ice. That should be able to remove the grain.

Otherwise you could treat the grain as noise and try removing it from your scanned digital images via software. Neat Image is one
standalone product that might work. Aslo Fred Miranda has a action that works with photoshop that might also remove the grain.

http://www.neatimage.com/

http://www.fredmiranda.com

Wedding photos are important so the best of luck

Jim
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote