Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:15 PM   #1

Hi to the boards.

I want to burn a whole bunch of digital photos to CD's for viewing with DVD players. I'd like the pictures to fill the screen or at least most of it. What resolution in pixels should the pictures be resized to?

Thanks for any help.
denrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 2:37 PM   #2

Sorry , duplicate post, see below
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

Your resize should be to whatever resolution and aspect ratio (screen shape), you most want to watch on. There is no point throwing more pixels at a display that can't show them as it just makes loading and showing each pic slower. I assume you are talking copies and you must keep the unedited pics from the cam in safe storage.

To give you an example. I'm using a 43" widescreen (rectangular) plasma. By measuring its shape I found out it's height/width is 1.777:1 (wide) whereas my camera shoots near 1.33 (more square). Since I nowframe to protect most of my shots to allow wide viewing I can re-size and in most cases just lose a bit of sky or foreground.

If I put a cam image 4 Mpix 2272 X1704 straight to the display I get a square (4X3) image with black bars each side. I'd worked out the size I needed would be around 1280X768 and this was in practice the scaling needed ('preserve aspect ratio' must be set to off). If you are showing on lcd's or using projection you'll need these sort of numbers and just need to experimentif you want to fill the screen. If it's a normal 525/625 TV, anything more than 640X480 is probably a waste of time.

Many new displays that can show JPEGS need the camera header file (EXIF) data preserved. My version of photoshop strips this, puts its own junk in edited cam files and they can't be read. IRFANVIEW is a brilliant tool and allows you to batch resize pics quickly for burning to DvD and showing on a TV - and it keeps the file data intact so these new TV's can still show them.

Remember that if you want to print your pics, the ones on your dvd for TV viewing will now be low resolution, so go back to edited copies of camera originals.

Regards - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote