Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:21 PM   #1

Help! I just got a 7 MP Digital Camera and am confused as to what pixel file size I should be taking my pictures at. The cameral manual lists: 3072 x 2304, 3072 x 2048 and 2560 x 1920. I intend to print 4x6 pictures and an occasional 5x7 with very good quality, at least 300 dpi. I didn't like the jagged edges I was getting using my 5 MP camera. Also, what is the difference in the "quality" of my pictures. The cameral manual lists: Fine, Normal and Economy. All I want are good, clear pictures! Any help appreciated. Thanks!:?
h225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:20 PM   #2
Administrator

h225 wrote:
Quote:
I didn't like the jagged edges I was getting using my 5 MP camera.

What camera were you using? How did you have the resolution/quality set in it?

If you were downsizing the images (or changing resolution/quality settings from defaults) that may have caused the problem (it was probably the way you were editing and saving the images, though).

Most models do best at the higher resolution and quality settings (and you never know when you'll want to make a larger print, or someone else may want to print one at larger sizes that you shot).

The 3072x2304resolution with FineJPEG Quality is probably the best for your newer model. But,the 3072x2048 mode would be the correct aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) for a 4x6" print if you didn't want to take the time for cropping later.

For other sizes, the 3072x2304 mode would probably require the least cropping.

But, even a 2MP model can provide great prints at smaller sizes. So, 7 versus 5 Megapixels isn't going to help anything, if other image characteristics are the same (and/or you are doing something in your workflow that's causing the jagged edges).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote