Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:25 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm currently shooting with an Olympus E-VOlt 500 and printing with an Epson R2400.

I suppose I could just invest in some 13x19 sheets of paper and do some tests, but I was wondering.If I resample a 3264x2448JPGto 13"x19" at 300 DPI will I achieve quality printing results?

What is the max interpolated size I can print using an 8 megapixel file while still achieving quality results for prints that I will be selling?

Thanks for your time,

Dan
drgcreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:24 PM   #2

Hey, Dan, here's a few thoughts in lieu of an actual answer: You could resize a test shot to 13X19, then crop a piece of it to fit in an 8X10 -- or whatever the largest sized paper is that you are currently using. That would show you what the 13X19 would look like without wasting the larger sheets.

As for how large you can go....That depends on stuff like the viewing distance from the proposed prints, how good your printer is and how good the software is that you will use to make the enlargements. Even the individual shot will make a difference. A really sharp photo will enlarge better than a softer one -- unless it's the kind of pic that wouldn't suffer much from some softness.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

Hello Grant!

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

You stated:

"Hey, Dan, here's a few thoughts in lieu of an actual answer: You could resize a test shot to 13X19, then crop a piece of it to fit in an 8X10 -- or whatever the largest sized paper is that you are currently using. That would show you what the 13X19 would look like without wasting the larger sheets."

That's a great idea! Exactly the kind of advice I came to the board looking for. I knew there had to be some way for me to test. I have some Epson Premium Luster8.5x11 sheets so I'll test with that.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Dan
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

I print quite often at 24x36 from a Canon 20D 8mp camera.You do not really need 300dpi, many pros will use 240dpi. I use Qimage with pyramid/max/max settings.

If you don't use Qinage,you should try it.It will interpolate according to the size of the finished print.I have an Epson Pro 7800 and an R2400.It works well with the 7800,but it is a piece of cake with the 2400.You should have no problems with a 13x19 print!
jeepers94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:04 AM   #5

jeepers94 wrote:
Quote:
If you don't use Qinage,you should try it.It will interpolate according to the size of the finished print.I have an Epson Pro 7800 and an R2400.It works well with the 7800,but it is a piece of cake with the 2400.You should have no problems with a 13x19 print!
Qimage?? Could not find Ginage!! Ha Ha. Google respelled it.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:22 AM   #6

jeepers94 wrote:
Quote:
I print quite often at 24x36 from a Canon 20D 8mp camera.You do not really need 300dpi, many pros will use 240dpi. I use Qimage with pyramid/max/max settings.

Hey thanks for the info on that Qinage software. I found their website and it seems like a great buy.

This means I can offer larger print sizes and outsource the printing to a good lab like Vistek.ca that uses larger format Epson printers. Thanks again!

Cheers,
DRG