Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1

I recently tried Mpix and I like the way it came out. I am going to create a site to sell my pictures but here is the question before I do so. I noticed some people selling their pictures and listing sizes 5x7,8x10,11x14. I noticed if I do my sizing in PS I usually click the crop tool and type in the size up top 8x10 etc.. Once I upload to Mpix if I cropped it at 16x20 I will get the full image, 8x12 will be full also. If I click on I want to print at 5x7 or 8x10 it shows it will crop it and I will lose some of the picture.

Is it just me ? Am I missing something and not understanding something or are the people who are selling their prints and lising 3 sizes 5x7,8x10,etc... not noticing that they are going to lose some of the print depending on the size?

In PS under Resize , Scale styles, constrain proportions, resample image (Bicubic) is all checked. Is this correct or should it be set different so I can get the full image for 3 different sizes like a 5x7,8x10,11x14 etc...
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2

With a DSLR you don't have to trim anything off to get a 4 X 6 print. With any other camera for any other standard print size something has to be trimmed from the image to get the right ratio.

You are doing it correctly with the crop tool. Use the crop tool with the dimensions of the print in the boxes and nothing in the PPI box. It will save all of the pixels you don't crop off to make the right ratio.

"Save as" with the filename with maybe "8 X 10" added. Go back a notch in the history to the full image and put maybe 7 and 5 inches in the crop boxes. "Save as" with that file and drop back to the original image for the next crop – etc. Don't recrop one that has already been cropped to get your next size.

There is no reason to go to Image > Image Size unless you are just curious what resolution you ended up with at a particular print size. You can't change ratios in the size box.

If after you have cropped without a resample you decide the PPI isn't high enough for an 11 X 14 print you can resample in the size box to a higher PPI. Any resample slightly deteriorates the image and doing an upsample doesn't help the print that much unless it is of very low resolution. So don't just automatically upsample to some random PPI number – especially to one determined by someone else. I think most of them just pull numbers from a damp dark place without a lot of comparative testing.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3

I understand to make your crops from the original no matter what size it is, but I think the question is I see people offering 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 sizes of the same print. But with those three sizes your not going to get the full print of each am I correct on this? If you just type in 5x7 (I always leave the DPI blank) versus 8x10 your going to lose more of the pic on the 5x7 versus the 8x10. Now if you didn't crop but went to just resize and type in 5x7 or 8x10 with constrain proportions it's not going to be exactly 5x7 etc... once you type in 5 than the other side automatically adjust to constrain the right proportions. So what I am saying is am I correct that people who are listing three sizes that are not in multiple sizes the images are going to be cropped when printed and actually the customer may not get what they are actualyl seeing.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:39 PM   #4

If someone is seeing an image in a 3:2 or 4:3 ratio and want that exact image in a standard size they could specifically request the print be made with white on the edges or top and bottom so they can get the full image. Otherwise it has to be cropped to the proper proportions.

I don't think I'm understanding your question. What I just said is so intuitively obvious you must be asking something else, but I don't quite know what it is.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote