Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1

hi to all! i am very new w/all things in this digital world!

I have a panasonic fz7 & am attempting to email photos & attach a few to sell some junk on ebay.

when i try to attach photos the emails come back to me saying undeliverable b/c size is too large. a few have gotten through & i am told they are too large to view on the computer screen. same for attaching to ebay auction, too large.

in the simplest terms possible could anyone please tell me how i go about re sizing an image to email it where it stilll looks great/clear/sharp as it does on my computer screen while i am viewing them.

what size do they need to be? and once i get an image shrunk do i save it that way or save it as a second & still keep original? or is the original ( being that large size to email) taking up a ton of memory on my computer?

ok and all that being asked why is this: when i try to choose a photo from these taken w/my new camera to be used as my desktop/screen saver the image can be used but when i choose to use it it only does parts of the image. i cant do an entire image for a screen save. i get why, too large. BUT when my computer goes into sleep mode or whatever its called it playsa slideshow of my photos & at that time these same images do fit perfectly on my computer screen. what is up with that?

Thanks to all who answer!!!
Tinkerbell 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 7:35 PM   #2

Never having sold on Ebay, I can't answer your first question exactly. But, I can use an analogy:

If you want to post a picture on this site, there are size constraints both on the pixel dimensions (last I checked, 800x500 pixels, max.) and the file size (last I checked, 244 kilobytes, max.). Ebay has their own restrictions for posting photos. Since they don't seem to resize a submitted image automatically, there must be something in the instructions they provide for prospective sellers that specifies limits on pixel dimensions and file size. If you tell us what editing software you are using, someone will be better able to give you specific advice on how to resize your images.

Tinkerbell2002 wrote: "...once i get an image shrunk do i save it that way or save it as a second & still keep original? or is the original ( being that large size to email) taking up a ton of memory on my computer?"

Yes, you should save the smaller image that way and rename the file, too, to distinguish it from the original file. If the original large picture has some value to you, go ahead and keep it. With the storage capacity of todays average hard disks, you shouldn't have to worry about saving some pictures. On the other hand, if the original has served its purpose and you aren't likely to want to use it again, there's no harm in deleting it. Getting rid of things that you won't use again decreases clutter and makes it easier to find things that you do want to use again.

Tinkerbell2002 continued: "ok and all that being asked why is this: when i try to choose a photo from these taken w/my new camera to be used as my desktop/screen saver the image can be used but when i choose to use it it only does parts of the image. i cant do an entire image for a screen save. i get why, too large. BUT when my computer goes into sleep mode or whatever its called it playsa slideshow of my photos & at that time these same images do fit perfectly on my computer screen. what is up with that?"

Check the size of your desktop display. You can click the little monitor icon in the system tray to find out a lot of things about your display. Right-clicking the desktop and choosing Properties from the drop down menu will get you the same info'. If your display size is, say, 800x600 pixels, then any image with a larger pixel dimension will not fit all at once on your screen. Same with other screen sizes. I thought that Windows automatically resized images that you tell it to use as wallpaper or a screen saver, but, if you have to do it yourself, you have to use your editor to match the pixel dimensions of the picture to the size of the desktop, or less.
With the slide show, it sounds like Windows is resizing automatically, so, I don't know why it isn't doing it at other times.

I hope some of this helps!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:11 PM   #3

You should generally use JPG images for posting and they have both size and quality. Most programs let you choose a quality as well as a size in pixels, and the combination determines the file size. Quality is another way of saying compression, so the higher the quality the lower the compression and the larger the image. But at best quality a JPG file is smaller in bytes than a TIFF or BMP of the size in pixels.

If you don't already have it download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com

Open an image in Irfanview and go Image > Resize/Resample. It should look like this:

Leave "Preserve aspect ratio" and "Resample" checked. Also keep Lanczos as the resample filter. You can just change either the width and height and the other will change to maintain the aspect ratio or choose one of the standard sizes.

After you have changed the size in pixels go File > "Save as". Type a new name in for the image or send it to another folder. In "Save as Type" select JPG. Your screen will look like this:

You have already selected a size in pixels but the quality also affects the file size. Anything below 60 is likely to start showing artifacts badly. Just experiment and see what looks good to you. To post here check to keep the EXIF. It isn't necessary for Ebay.

For the wallpaper, open the large full sized image. Go Options > Set as wallpaper > Stretch. It will compress it to completely fill your screen as long as your camera is a 4:3 ratio.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:48 PM   #4

I want to share with you all some tool I found in the Inet.

It's a great application that resize lots of pictures at once and without doing anything !!! It's great, you upload them, resize them and then they came to you in an email, or you can send them to your friends.

I've tried it and works very quick and it is veeeeeery easy.

HEre is the link http://www.dosize.com

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy it !
robter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 7:28 AM   #5

Visualizer Photo Resize is constantly recommended by all the software/photo magazines i read. It's very easy to use and it's freeware.
DigiTal is offline   Reply With Quote