Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old May 7, 2006, 12:51 AM   #1

Hello all!

I posted this in another forum before realizing there was an entire forum dedicated to resizing. And I understand why! I'm having a lot of trouble grasping resolution, etc... but I'll learn it....SOMEDAY! hehe :?

A scenario/question:

1. I take a photo of my cat with my Nikon D50.

2. I upload it and use Photoshop Elements 4.0 to attempt to resize it to print as an 8 x 10.

3. I choose "CROP" and then place "8" in the width and "10" in the height. However... when I go to drag the crop area... I can't crop the entire picture...because the ratio of the default photo from the Nikon is 2:3 whereas the ratio for my desired print size is 4:5.

Now the questions:

1. First off, can my Nikon print 8 x 10? Or is 6.1 megapixels not enough for a good quality photo?

2. Should I just accept that when I take a picture with my Nikon that any other ration/print size (ie. 5 x 7, 8 x 10, etc) will need to lose some of the photo since I can't crop exactly to fit?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer! Sorry about posting in the other forum!

Ted
TedM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 1:33 AM   #2
Baz

Hello Ted,

In answer to your questions:

1. 6mp is more than enough for a good quality 8 x 10 print.

2. Yes, it's a fact of life, and aspect ratios that one has to accept. It's a good idea (if you can) when using the camera, not to frame the shot tightly, so as to allow some room for cropping.

Apart from 8 x 10", the A4 size paper (8.27" x 11.69") is closer to the 3:2 ratio.

Baz.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

Hi Baz,

Thanks for answering my questions!

You have given me good advice about not making the photo so "tight"... I'll remember that.

I may look into the A4 paper... and see if Canon makes some for my new printer (which I love!)

Now only if they started making A4 picture frames! Hehehe :-)
Old May 18, 2006, 8:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Believe it or not - the whole world outside the USA pretty much uses A4 paper and A4 frames are easy to come by - certainly IKEA has a whole bunch of nice ones in metric sizes in their European stores. :blah:

Remember that an 8x12 print will need no cropping - so if you can find some 8x12 paper that should work nicely for you.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5

Hi Peripatetic, thanks for answering!

So A4 is close to 8 x 12... I didn't even realize they sold 8 x 12 paper.

So much to learn!

And yes, I'm not too far from an Ikea...which is a fun store. I'll have to check their frames out!

Thanks again!
Old May 18, 2006, 8:22 PM   #6

Don't know whether you have photoshop or not but if you do here is a link to a plugin for resizing your photos excellent. http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/photoshop-tools.htm Sorry thought this link was copied on my original post. If you check the page you will see that there are several actions here to load into photoshop no cost also instructions are found either on the page or elsewhere on the site can't remember which.
kelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 9:08 PM   #7
Baz

Apart from not seeing any link to a plugin Kelty, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

If you refer to Ted's question, he has a camera with 3:2 aspect images, and is asking how to fit those on papers like 4:5 aspect ratios. (without losing any detail).

You'll notice my reply that it's not possible, unless there is room in the image to change the aspect from 3:2 to 4:5 by cropping. Some detail will be lost.

Maybe I'm missing something about your suggestion. I dont think we are talking of resizing here. Will this PS plugin do what Ted asked?

Baz
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8

Baz, I'm intrigued as well.

Kelty, if you could please post the link, I'll definitely take a look at it! And thanks!
Old May 19, 2006, 1:46 PM   #9

Baz wrote:
Quote:
Apart from not seeing any link to a plugin Kelty, I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

If you refer to Ted's question, he has a camera with 3:2 aspect images, and is asking how to fit those on papers like 4:5 aspect ratios. (without losing any detail).

You'll notice my reply that it's not possible, unless there is room in the image to change the aspect from 3:2 to 4:5 by cropping. Some detail will be lost.

Maybe I'm missing something about your suggestion. I dont think we are talking of resizing here. Will this PS plugin do what Ted asked?

Baz
Well I just checked the action in my plugins and there is a resize for 4X6 both Portrait and Landscape have found this action to be really usefull
kelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:05 PM   #10

Thanks for the link, Kelty... and it does look pretty cool.

But doesn't PS already resize to 4x6? I ask because I just got my copy of PS CS2 in the mail and hoping I don't need a brain transplant to learn it.