Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jun 17, 2006, 6:52 PM   #11

This isfast and real simple after the small install right click on the picture and choose resize picture...heres the direct link download for you. Alot of us here use this all the time and its not invasive at all, It will batch as well just highlight all the pics you want and like I said above ...right click resize picture(s)
PS....It's Freeeeeee

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:33 AM   #12

Hi wagaboo - this still does not answer my question - I have and do use the image resizer from MS, plus Photoshop, and various other programs , but NONE of them give the option of choosing the size based on KB's. It still remains hit and missto get the file size as close to the max allowed with a given dimension. The Prog cpicture.exe as spoken about here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

comes the closest to this [but somehow the quality of theresult is not very good]

However, thanks guys for assisting :-)
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:06 PM   #13

JakeTPegg schrieb:
Quote:
The Prog cpicture.exe as spoken about here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

comes the closest to this [but somehow the quality of theresult is not very good]

However, thanks guys for assisting :-)
You need to be careful to choose the right values. A 1024x768 picture with 20KB in size must result in a very low quality. Any EXIF data will be preserved and needs to be counted in. For example you have 1MB picture with 40KB EXIF (Thumbnail) and resize it to 80KB, there is not much left for the picture data (EXIF is not deleted).
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:16 PM   #14

Thanks Jurgen, that makes perfect sense !:lol:
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:21 AM   #15

Hi* Folks,I use GraphicConverter by www.lemkesoft.com, it came bundled as an extra with my Apple Mac using OS X. You can import/export using different file formats.* I* import 3mb files and export then at 250kb or whatever file size you require.It has a batch processing facility where you pick photos* from a folder, set your export parameters, decide if you want to overwrite the existing files or place in another folder and then execute the programme. Easy to use and fast.I think is only works with OS9/OSX & the new Universal standard
EdBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:16 AM   #16

I ran into something recently called kiss my image and think the url is kissmyimage.com might be worth a look:-)
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 5:29 AM   #17

There actually is a tool that let's you resize to given file size. Check out the latest version of Picture Resizer at http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

It has a simple interface - just place it on destop and drop images or folders with images on the icon. It can be reconfigured by renaming the application. To resize pictures to 50kB, rename it to PhotoResizeK50.exe and you are done. It has many more options and it pays out to read the entire page.

V.
vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:06 PM   #18

I dont know that there is anything that will let you pick both dimension and Kb size. 245 kb is quite large for those of us on dialup to download and most forums dont accept that large of a size. Photoshop save for web gives good quality web images and lets you easily see the results of various compressions. Its overkill to have a web image up to 800x600 at 245kbs
sasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 3:20 PM   #19

sasc schrieb:
Quote:
I dont know that there is anything that will let you pick both dimension and Kb size.
Its in this thread above, the program cPicture can do that. Set the radio buttons for size and KB.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:35 PM   #20
Administrator

How about an open source version? :-)

I'm spending most of my time in Linux versus Windows lately, and a program that allowed resizing based on desired file size could come in handy.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote