Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Resizing / Interpolation

Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:31 PM   #1

I shot a D20 Canon and I have croped out some nice pictures and want to print them.

I want to print them in 20 x 30 or something close to that. When I check the pixil count on the 8x10 crop I only have around 170 ppi. I have been told that is good enough to print the 8x10. Now what do I need to do to the picture to get a good 20 x 30 print or can I? I think I will have to upsize? or something? :?Can anyone help me on this? Also I want to upload them to snap fish to print. Is that a good place to print them?:?

Help

Ronnie
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

Hey, Ronnie, here's a thread from these forums that you might find interesting:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 PM   #3

Maybe I am making this too hard? If I have a picture like the one here and I wanted to upsize it to make a nice 16x20 or something I understand I need around 150ppi.

So would I just resize it using PS elements to 2400x3000 ppi and print it? What would tell me I am pushing the print too far before I waste the money to print it?

Attached Images

RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

Ronnie, yeah, you can just do it like that. Some experianced people in these forums recommend doing up-sampling through a method called "stepped interpolation" which increases the size incrementally instead of all in one shot. This can get pretty tedious unless you can make an action to automate the process. I don't know whether or not PSE allows actions, but the general procedure is to increase the file in about 2% "steps" until you get the dimensions you are looking for. Five percent can even give better results than a one-shot deal. Scott Kelby, in one of his books, says that 10% increments are acceptable.

You write: What would tell me I am pushing the print too far before I waste the money to print it?

Take a small crop out of the pic you want to blow up, a section with a lot of detail, and up-sample the crop to the percentage increase you want for the whole pic using the same method of interpolation as you will on the whole thing. The small crop will up-sample faster and you can likely print the crop yourself on a home printer. Then you can put it on the wall and view it at the same distance as the whole pic will be viewed and see if it looks good. If it does, then the whole thing would look good, too. If it doesn't look good, you can adjust the size until it does. This saves a lot of costly trial and error printing out the whole pic and then finding the result not to your liking.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote