Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Ricoh

Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:59 PM   #1

Hello...I have a RICOH RDC-5300 digital camera ; 2.3 megapixels..3x optical zoom. Bought it used off eBay..I have read good reviews about this camera....on Steve's Digicam Reviews.

The LCD Screen is appearing very " grainy-noisy " I guess that's what it is called...(noisy)..but I can literally " see the grain " in the image as I view it..

Oddly enough ; when I switch the screen over to a " MENU " setting up screen...it's clarity is good to great...Course that's an image from the camera's built-in-rom...and not from an ACTUAL Live image being transmitted through the lens.

What does this probably mean?? The CCD pick-up is old..or going bad perhaps..? The focus to me is NOT crisp and sharply defined ; like I was expecting.

The 2.3 megapixels limit is not to blame ( as I have had 1.3 megapixels cameras) with clearer pics ; focus. Would anyone happen to have any tips to check on that may help this matter.?

I have cleaned the lens..was a couple fingerprints on it when I received it...But I have had cameras with fingerprints & smudges before and after cleaning the pic images were clean..

I have just received the camera and still learning the settings and such...BUT this is NOT my 1st ever digital camera....so I don't attribute the matter to lack of experience.....

Thanks for any helpful comments ; you may offer...to me..Talk again Ed~
One_Eye_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2003, 5:25 AM   #2

How are the images when you have downloaded them? Are they just as bad as veiwed on the LCD?

The RDC 5300 is capable of very sharp images, perhaps the camera has been dropped and the lens barrel is stuffed.

Please describe the problem in more detail....how are the finished prints looking?

Is the grain just on the LCD?
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:57 AM   #3

There is an LCD adjustment on the bottom of the camera to make it light or dark..The LCD panel will appear grainy if your in low light or that tiny wheel is turned down .I have that cam ( model RDC5000 ) the LCD will last 10 plus years. The cam will take pics by itself..thats very cool for people or wildlife....good luck with it
Forreste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:47 PM   #4

Hi all,

I too have a Ricoh 5300. I bought it new on QVC. It has served me well over the years but I also get a blurry picture from time to time. I am very careful when pushing the shutter but still once in a while I get a stinker. Now I am looking at the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 . Hopefully it will be available soon.

frankie1947 is offline   Reply With Quote