Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Samsung

Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1

I have been looking for a decent inexpensive MPEG4 camera. The Casios are obvious choices but I keep hearing of the dreaded lens error which makes me nervious when spending $3-400.

I noticed the Samsungs are much cheaper and under $200 there is the L60.

How do Samsungs rate in terms of quality to the more mainstream manufacturers? ie are they at parity yet or significantly worse?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:12 PM   #2

Prior to buying a Samsung i6, I read a lot of reviews of it. I don't recall any of them being critical of the build quality of the i6, but a number of them suggested that prior Samsung digital cameras were not impressive.

There seem to have been a few reliability problems with the i6 reported here, but I've had mine for a few months now, in fairly demanding circumstances, and had no trouble. I've taken probably 2000 stills and video clips with it, and also used it extensively as an mp3 player and a PMP device.

Having a lens that does not telescope outside the body means you avoid a huge proportion of dsc problems to begin with.

So my personal experience is that I would not hesitate to buy another one (regarding the NV series with envy).
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3

I have the i5 and L55W bought specifically for the MPEG4 video function. The general still image quality is soft on the i5 and there's a lot of red eye when photographing animals (rabbits, in my case!).

The L55W is a huge improvement in all aspects - little if any red eye, sharper images, faster focussing and considerably less shutter lag making it much more usable. I also like the widescreen mode.

I'm about to buy my 3rd digimax (possibly S500 or A50) purely for the video function.
karenw is offline   Reply With Quote