Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:30 PM   #11

If it allows you to do it, you would ruin your C5. Please don't try it on any other camera. The controlling software (firmware) is specific to each exact model and each specific chip set, sensor and display in that exact product.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:58 AM   #12

Update of firmware went without a hitch. I loathe doing these - had to do one on my Canon Digital SLR a while ago.

All I need now is for someone to buy a 4Gb card for Christmas!:lol: Having just bought a 2Gbcard a few days agoI don't feel inclined to splash out yet again.

Anyone notice any improvement in the audio?
Viviners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:12 PM   #13

I upgraded my firmware and notice two things with my C6:

1. When it turns on (via flipping the viewfinder open), the video on the screen starts out really dark and very slowly brightens up. I don't remember being this annoyed with this process in the old firmware.

2. The screen looks a bit over-exposed (LCD brightness set at -3) when outdoors under the bright sun but when actually starting to take footages, it darkens. The actual footage looks fine, though when viewed from the view finder or computer.

I'm still trying to compare footages with the old ones I took to replicate the same settings/conditions. I'm not sure but the red-eye function seems to miss out a lot with the new firmware but the overall photo quality (with flash) seems to have improved in the noise category.

Anybody else notice this?

Now I wish I had that old firmware so I can restore it...
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:01 PM   #14

I don't see any of those problems with my C6 after the firmware update, sorry.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:57 PM   #15

Thanks, SANYO, this has made my Thanksgiving.
2:47:28 of running time in SHQ is just what I needed

I have just come back from a whirlwind trip to Australia, where I successfully used an external USB battery pack with 4-AA NiMH cells (intended originally to recharge an IPOD) to recharge the battery while the C6 was running (on a Manfrotto TableTop tripod), thus overcoming the limited 1 hour battery life.

So now my C6 can displace the DV camcorders from my luggage - at a fraction of the weight and size. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

ps: My wishlist has now shrunk to this:- the C6 should remember the current AE setting (right click on SET during record) instead of one having to re-program it every time the camcorder comes out of 'standby'. Retaining the Zoom setting and AF are less important, but could be expected in a device of this capability, I think

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote