Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 9, 2006, 9:11 PM   #1

Just got my C6 yesterday and now the zoom doesnt move...did yesterday...is there any software settings other than the digital zoom on and off? Does the battery have to be at fully charge for the zoom to work?
Hong Kong camera, sealed box and all...IF it is toast, are there any non warranty repair shops in NA that will fix this?
geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:07 PM   #2

follow up to my story, I sent the camera to Sanyo Canada for non warranty repair of the non zooming lense....Estimate for repair is $360.00 for a one day old camera purchased from off shore...250 for the lense and 90 for labor....guess it cost me more money going this route than buying from a authorized dealer
Due to being away I was not able to return the camera to the Etailer(Babieblackcat) within the specified 3 days for replacement, this is the chance you take in dealing with grey market products....dont get me wrong the camera came in the factory box with all packaging sealed. The repair bill does state that the battery that I returned with the camera "Re: Battery Not Original"...the deal was the camera came with an extra battery, I wonder if the battery is the wrong voltage?

geep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3

:OOuch! Just does not seem right man. Wasn't there recourse through your credit card company?No consumer laws in HK? Sorry, it's moot now, but thanks for sharing your experience. Silly me, Ididn't connectNA= North America, I didn't think it was a state... I searched and came up withNetherlands Antilles?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:15 AM   #4

We are always sorry to hear these kind of stories but it is the truth when dealing with these gray market folks. eBay gives these people ready access to millions of consumers that either don't know any better or are just too greedy to use a little common sense. We try to educate folks about the dangers of buying gray market items, especially high tech electronic things which all too often need repairs.

Very few companies will offer warranty service out of the sales area because each country's office is financially responsible for its own products. They're not trying to be unfair to the consumer, the item you bought via Hong Kong or wherever did not put any money in the U.S. office for future warranty service.

Is it worth saving $50 or $75 now if it costs you $200 or more less than a year later?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5

The Internet will inevitably force many companies to stop thinking the world as divided into large geographical sales areas. DVD zoning is one example of such nonsense. I live in Switzerland. When I'm interested in a Sanyo camera I go to sanyo.com or <yourcamerabrandhere>.com . I don't go to sanyo.ch.

On the other hand, anyone who has been to Hong Kong knows that there are only a few stores that are trustworthy, and these are worth it for specialized optics. Those that sell cameras that really work will sell at market price, the others will try their best to sell you junk.

If you want a camera before it sells in your country it is best to try get hold of it via someone in Akihabara or Shinjuku in Tokyo. Prices should be checked on http://www.kakaku.com, possibly assisted by Google's very basic Japanese translation.
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:57 AM   #6

Purchases with certain credit cards automatically come with extended warranty. Have you looked into this?

mitoziz is offline   Reply With Quote