Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

View Poll Results: Do you use the Motion Compensation (Image Stabilizer)
Never 2 40.00%
Always 1 20.00%
Sometimes 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 15, 2006, 2:34 PM   #1

I have owned my Xacti C6 for a few days and am generally very pleased with it.

However, I am still trying to make my mind up whether or not to use the Motion Compensation (Image Stabilizer). There has not much been said about it on the forum.

On the whole I have - very provisionally - concluded that it is more of a minus point than a plus point. It doesn't work brilliantly and you lose precious pixels.

So my vote (for now) is...............AGAINST.

But what is your vote? :-)

Viviners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:30 PM   #2

I agree. I was dissapointed to find out that is all it did. I would rather have had a simple basic mp4 editor included with the camera myself.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:55 PM   #3

Well, at least it does something! Sony camcorders have had this feature for years (software image stablization by cropping). Unlike Certain Other Cameras that claim to have "Anti-Shake DSP" that is nothing more than high ISO and advertising.

The only time I could see using it is if you aren't really going to pan around and you also don't mind the extra zoom. For example if you are going to film a concert handheld and you are just going to keep the camera stationary. The loss of resoution might be outweighed by the lack of shaking.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:06 PM   #4

haha I think I got myself confused here. I thought you meant the motion director software when you were really meaning the image stabilizer in the camera itself! Even so I rarely use the this now due to the image cropping although as brachiopod said, it may be ok when you have to hold it steady for a long time which may cause more image shake due to a tired arm.

Hopefully future models will do as Panasonic already do now, and move towards true optical image stabilisation.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:34 PM   #5

Yup, like brachiopod said, it's really only good if you are trying to hold a steady shot, perhaps while using optical zoom and an extended arm. But if you are intentionally moving or panning, then it's fighting against you and may skip. And it's lower res.. So I never use it, if I want a steady shot I use a tripod (or my gorillapod),when using it hand held, I just use the manual's tip:keep my elbow stuck to my hip.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote