Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:48 AM   #11

To start from the end I got the Xacti CA6, tested it and returned it. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros –
  1. Very small, just put in your pocket and go [/*]
  2. Easy and simple controls [/*]
  3. Super fast start up from sleep mode [/*]
  4. Good video quality when lighting conditions are good [/*]
  5. the ability to take stills while in video mode (I had no issue with the video pausing, no way around that) [/*]
  6. You get video and 6mp stills in one device for a reasonable price [/*]
  7. SD card that records for a long time [/*]
  8. Easy transfer to computer for editing

Cons –

1. Indoor video unacceptable, although the Xacti video is brighter than the videos that my Sony digicam takes, it is extremely grainy (more so than my Sony digicam videos!!) [/*]
  2. Super slow zoom when in video mode [/*]
  3. In good lighting it is very difficult to take stills that are not blurry (especially when trying to capture a kid on the move, for scenery it might be OK) [/*]
  4. In low lighting stills are unusable (even at short distance) due to a very, very weak flash. [/*]
  5. Red eye almost every time the flash works [/*]
  6. Strap is a joke [/*]
  7. No lens cover[/*]

So in short, on paper this camera is great, I love having the SD format rather than tape or DVD, the size is amazing and the ability to take both video and stills at a high resolution is priceless.

But….the stills are useless both in good and bad lighting (see above) and the video is usable only if shot in very good lighting conditions (for a new dad that shoots many videos indoors this is impractical).

This camera is only for outdoor people who shoot in good lighting conditions and have a very very steady hand (for taking stills). For almost everyone else it is not adequate, I will have to compromise on having both a dedicated still camera and a miniDV camcorder (going for the Elura 100)…..

Ya, I know people told me that this was the best option beforehand, I was hoping to prove them wrong….; - (
chaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:14 PM   #12

as you mentioned on your first post, you are not expecting the video to be as good as mini dv... you have to set your priorities and thse priorities will lead you to the video camera you really wanted.. people who have the xacti bought it because of its handiness, point and video kinda thing..

if you're looking for a perfect shot,, better go for the professional cams with 3ccds..
echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:12 PM   #13

I appreciate the fact that many people like the Xacti and it certainly has its benefits. But I think that it is misleading to say that it has slightly lesser video quality than a miniDV, or that only someone that is looking for the "perfect shot" should not buy it.

I was looking for reasonable video quality and reasonable still quality; I'm not an expert or a purist.

The Xacti took worse video in a home setting (lamp lighting) than my 3 year old Sony digicam (!!). As I said, the video was brighter but much grainer. I would expect that a 2007 dedicated camcorder take better video than a 3 year old still digicam….

As far as the stills are concerned, again, I wasn't expecting stellar performance. But if it is almost impossible to take a picture of a moving object (such as a kid) without it being blurry, and in a home setting with low lighting the pictures (even at close range) are unusable, so what can one say?

Again, the Xacti can be great for some people, people that mainly film outside in good light and take stills of scenery outside. But for the average family user the Xacti is simply inappropriate for the reasons that I stated above.

The future belongs to hybrid video/still cameras that have hard drive/memory card storage, but it seems that a good all around hybrid at a reasonableprice simply does not exist yet
chaka is offline   Reply With Quote